New to BP & Wing: Suggestions for purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking to pick up a backplate and wing system as I hate the trim jacket style BCDs give me (heavy feet.)

Trim is a separate issue from what type of BC you use, although it will probably be easier to put trim weights where you want them on a BP. A jacket can be trimmed out as well as a BP/W, just changing from one to another will not magicly solve the problem.

I hate the trim jacket style BCDs give me (heavy feet.)

This is a function of weight distribution not a BCD problem. You can still get undesirable trim with BP/W just the same as with a jacket BCD if your weight distribution is not managed properly.

Main reason I liked BP/W is that with steel BP and 12l-15l steel tanks, I didn't need any weight up to 7mm suit in fresh water.
Worked wonders for my back.

That's also one of the reasons that I switched to side-mount is, that when going to tech diving, in cold, thick undergarment drysuit, and d12 steels. lugging 40kg on my back, and pinching my nerve was terrible.

Better trim was only due to not using any weights, and the plate distributing the weight properly. When you have your weight belt or pockets on your waist, your center of gravity is lower down, and you get heavy feet.

Add to it, if you're over-weighted, you're then swimming diagonally the whole dive.

Eh not really, go for the Zeos
I got two hardly used Halcyon 40's for $225 and $250. They are nice and tough and supple. I also have a never used Hollis 45 that is stiff, heavy, and inflexible. Yuck.....

Looking for a BP/W too, is XDeep Zen worth buying? It sells for around $740
Of course NOT.

To check your 1st stage.

Total is under US$450.00.
Free shipping to HK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom