New FAA reg? No more Li-Ion batteries in checked bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just heard that the FAA is no longer going to allow any (spare/uninstalled) Li-Ion batteries in checked bags. I found this confirmation:

Pack Safe

You can carry them in your carry-on bag, if they are for personal use. And they have to secured against accidentally shorting. I.e. have them in a battery case, tape the terminals, etc..

Just FYI.

As usual, I'm the last one to the party... :wink:

It doesn't seem like all countries enforce this the same way. So far, I've always had extra Li-Ion batteries in my checked bag through various airports in USA, EU and Asia.
The very first time I was asked to specifically move them to my carry on was last weekend at San Jose del Cabo airport on the flight back to SFO. I checked the Mexico sub-forum on SB and actually found a few posts about how to pack extra batteries for US<->Mexico trips .i.e. OK in checked bag out of a US airport, must be in carry on when leaving an airport in Mexico.

. . . I checked the Mexico sub-forum on SB and actually found a few posts about how to pack extra batteries for US<->Mexico trips .i.e. OK in checked bag out of a US airport, must be in carry on when leaving an airport in Mexico.

Yeah, this has been discussed in the Cozumel forum. It seems the Mexican authorities prohibit ANY loose batteries--not just lithium--in carry-on bags.

must be in carry on when leaving an airport in Mexico.

Yeah, this has been discussed in the Cozumel forum. It seems the Mexican authorities prohibit ANY loose batteries--not just lithium--in carry-on bags.

So, is it just me or did the two of you say exactly the opposite things?

As was previously discussed in the Cozumel forum different countries have different rules because they are kinda like 'different countries'. The only rules that affect your situation are the rules for the country where you board the aircraft. As a common example on a flight from Cozumel to DCA via Dallas you follow Mexico rules and put your spare Chinese made Lithium Ion batteries in your checked baggage, so that if they cook off over the gulf you and everyone else on board are screwed, and (if) upon arrival in DFW you pass through customs you then have to transfer the spare batteries from your checked baggage to your carry-on, to they comply with the US regulations.
If you are carrying spare batteries into Mexico and you wish to return with them, you will need to check a bag to bring them back into the US.
For Mexico this applies to any spare batteries regardless of type, for other countries you need to research the regulations and comply with the rules for the point you board the aircraft.

Heh, I think this just highlights the inconsistencies between countries and airlines in handling this.
We flew Virgin America on this trip. SFO -> SJD non-stop = All extra batteries (6 18650, 2 GoPro, 1 Nikon EN-EL3) in checked bag, curbside bag drop-off. I asked about where they wanted the batteries and they basically said wherever I was comfortable putting them. SJD -> SFO non-stop = I left them in the checked bag, was explicitly asked if I had any in there at the check in counter and was told they had to be in my carry-on.

Heh, I think this just highlights the inconsistencies between countries and airlines in handling this.
We flew Virgin America on this trip. SFO -> SJD non-stop = All extra batteries (6 18650, 2 GoPro, 1 Nikon EN-EL3) in checked bag, curbside bag drop-off. I asked about where they wanted the batteries and they basically said wherever I was comfortable putting them. SJD -> SFO non-stop = I left them in the checked bag, was explicitly asked if I had any in there at the check in counter and was told they had to be in my carry-on.

So you're saying that the US airport agent at SFO (or the curbside equivalent) allowed you to put loose lithium batteries in a checked bag? If so, that would seem to violate the TSA/FAA regs that Stuart noted above. That's astonishing.

And you're saying that the Mexican airport agent at SJD required you to put loose batteries in your carry-on rather than your checked bag? If so, that would seem to be contrary to what others in the Cozumel threads noted above said they were required to do by the Mexican authorities in Cozumel. But that's not so astonishing. Inconsistent instructions at different Mexican airports does not surprise me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom