New FAA reg? No more Li-Ion batteries in checked bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the past 2 years, every time I flight from SFO to an international destination, usually via Cathey pacific or United, they will always ask me if I have Li-on battery in check in package. If yes, I will have to take it out and put them into hand carry. So no, Li-On is NOT supposed to be check in. There is some limitation for hand carry as well, but I haven't has issue, so didn't ask the rule.

So you're saying that the US airport agent at SFO (or the curbside equivalent) allowed you to put loose lithium batteries in a checked bag? If so, that would seem to violate the TSA/FAA regs that Stuart noted above. That's astonishing.
Yes. In fact, they didn't even ask me about batteries - I specifically asked them what I should do and got the "whatever" answer.
Now that I think about it, I've always carried extra camera batteries in my checked bag for almost every trip I've made over the the years.

And you're saying that the Mexican airport agent at SJD required you to put loose batteries in your carry-on rather than your checked bag?
Correct. They were all in a gallon ZipLoc bag, but yeah, essentially loose.

Here is a link to the FAA web page that states their regulations:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

No having posted that when Im not diving I am a pilot for my day job and I can tell you a lot of the folks you will deal with will not keep up with the regulation and we deal with this all the time. The really fun party is all of the batteries I have on me (I have a lot of survival gear i.e. radios what not) as well as the tablet 99% of all pilots fly with all have lithium ion. It is true they don't like water if the batter is broken and the lithium is exposed. There is the possibility of fire but most modern batteries have overcharge and thermal run away protections which is what we use on our flight gear. It would be nice if there were batteries that did not have the issues lithium batteries do but right now its the best technology. Aircraft have been lost in the past due to battery fires, but as the battery continue to get better the chance of this happening gets more and more remote. When dealing with aviation federal agencies are always far behind, so it will probably get a lot worse before it gets better even if some one makes a battery that has no chance of issues at all.

Yes. In fact, they didn't even ask me about batteries - I specifically asked them what I should do and got the "whatever" answer. . .

Maybe unjust bias on my part, but I wouldn't trust that the curbside check-in agents are as well informed as the counter agents.

I presume your checked bag didn't get selected for the TSA random search, since they would have found the lithium batteries.

My dive gear bags seem to get selected for inspection frequently--I always seem to find those cards inside left by TSA. Anyway, it seems the proper way to bring loose lithium batteries is well described in the TSA/FAA information. The wild cards are foreign countries.

Anyone had any issues with Li-Ion batteries in flashlights? Years ago a TSA agent in Hawaii required us to remove the batteries from the dive lights in our checked baggage. That seemed sensible from the point of lowering risk of fire. Now the FAA directive would seem to encourage leaving the batteries in your lights if you wish to check them.

Maybe unjust bias on my part, but I wouldn't trust that the curbside check-in agents are as well informed as the counter agents.
This was my assessment as well.

I presume your checked bag didn't get selected for the TSA random search, since they would have found the lithium batteries.
It did not.

The good thing is I now know what the correct procedure is and intend to follow it for future trips.

Flying domestically in Japan they wouldn't allow me to carry a torch on the plane with alkaline AA batteries installed even after I removed the magnetic on/off collar. As is almost always the case in Japan no one could tell me why, they just said, which is the standard response when ever you question something that makes no sense, "because it's the rules". I gave up arguing as was never going to win and did as they said. Yes, the whole battery thing seems to vary greatly from place to place.

The FAA allows Li ion batteries in checked baggage - as long as they are installed. The FAA prohibition is against "spare" batteries in checked luggage. spare li ion batteries have to be carried on.

There is also a limit to the power rating of any 1 single li ion battery (pack): 100 wh. This covers just about everything for normal use (including spare laptop battery packs). High power can lights can exceed the 100wh and so are an issue. there was a recent post about a manufacturer altering their lights to comply with the rules (i think they just split the battery pack into 2 battery packs by converting a fixed wire to a removal jumper wire?)

the link provided by abscuba above clearly spells out the rules.

if you ever get asked, make sure you are clear about installed versus spare batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom