New Equipment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diehl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When I got certified 4 years ago my LDS sold me a whole package which included a back inflate BCD which I didn't like that much the reg was OK it was a aqualung LX. I sold everything about two years ago and since then I have been renting some gear at the LDS and when I travel to the carribean I use the resorts stuff which are just OK. Well I would like to buy some nice stuff in a package online because my LDS is way overpriced. I was looking at Leisure pro they have a Sherwood package #5 which includes:

This Package Includes:

Sherwood '07 Avid CQR2 BCD,

Sherwood Minimus Octopus, Yellow

Sherwood Oasis Regulator, NEW MODEL

Genesis CG5736 200ft Compact Console

Blue Reef Regulator Bag, Black

Is this good equipment? Not to familier with Sherwood but I know they been around forever. The package is in my price range at $669. I know my LDS is selling the Oasis for almost $380:11: Any suggestions on other Brands of equipment would be welcome. Thanks

Nothing wrong with it. But you discovered the first time you did this, that if you buy a package someone has predefined for you it's bound to be half full of stuff that's you won't really like best. Why make the same mistake again? You should have enough knowledge at this point to pick out individual things you really like.

When I got certified 4 years ago my LDS sold me a whole package which included a back inflate BCD which I didn't like that much the reg was OK it was a aqualung LX. I sold everything about two years ago and since then I have been renting some gear at the LDS and when I travel to the carribean I use the resorts stuff which are just OK. Well I would like to buy some nice stuff in a package online because my LDS is way overpriced. I was looking at Leisure pro they have a Sherwood package #5 which includes:

This Package Includes:

Sherwood '07 Avid CQR2 BCD,

Sherwood Minimus Octopus, Yellow

Sherwood Oasis Regulator, NEW MODEL

Genesis CG5736 200ft Compact Console

Blue Reef Regulator Bag, Black

Is this good equipment? Not to familier with Sherwood but I know they been around forever. The package is in my price range at $669. I know my LDS is selling the Oasis for almost $380:11: Any suggestions on other Brands of equipment would be welcome. Thanks

The set up you hve listed is a good enough set up,but i do think that you can get a better breathing reg then the oasis.
Why not go with Scuba Pro MK17/S555 totally balanced First and Second ,this is a top performer LP has it at a pretty low price ,then build from there.
I like having a computer over basic gauges, then buy a basic bc and low cost octo now you have a pretty nice system.
the Regulator is the heart and soul of a life support system , the MK17/S555 is an awsome reg.
Pick out the the items you want ,then call liesure pro and ask for a pakage price.
I have gotten them to come down by talking with them ,so hold your ground.

Thanks, I really don't want to buy a package either. But it seems to be the only way with the money I have right now. I will look at the scuba pro reg and I will probably buy the Reg first and then look at getting a BC down the road.

Most companies offer a discount if you buy a custom made package. Look into it. Also most companies offer competitive discount. Do a little research and you can find a great package that you will love and that will fit your budget. My main advice would be to find an authorized dealer. This way you get the manufacturers warranty and no major problems with the company if something goes wrong with your gear.

Why not go with Scuba Pro MK17/S555 totally balanced First and Second ,this is a top performer

the Regulator is the heart and soul of a life support system , the MK17/S555 is an awsome reg.

I totally agreee. You want a reliable regulator. This one IS awesome.

Diehl,

If you are interested in a package but don't like what you are seeing in our pre-made packages then drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to hook you up. Just let me know the items that you like or don't like in the package so I can have some guidance in regards to what you are looking for. We can get you set up with a personalized package very easily.

IMO you need to try several makes and models out before you make any purchase. While sherwood is good stuff there is also Oceanic, Zeagle, Dive Rite and others that are good also...and don't settle on one online dealer most of the major online stores will match prices....and a major concern is that you buy from an authorized deal w/manufacture warranty, not there on warranty. There are about three main online shops that you hear about on SB.

I personally use DiveSports....price match - dealer warranty - great service.

Back
Top Bottom