New diver / used tanks questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on finding some hp100s. I started with AL80s and they worked out ok, but got tired with the end of dive buoyancy issues. Eventually I found four steel 100s on Craigs List and made the jump. This switch allowed me to drop enough lead to get rid of my weight belt and just use weight pouches on my SS BP. Of course, I had to switch to DIN regs etc but have no regrets.

7/8 neck tanks mean 300 bar din only valves per DOT rules. Any converted yoke valve on a 7/8 neck tank is a DIY job.

Some divers have been known to use 200 bar valves and then use inserts that will fit a yoke. Allows you to use either.

200 BAR DIN vs 300 BAR DIN IJS...

Mine were 7/8 neck tanks. Made the decision easier to just make the complete jump to DIN.

When I was young and easily intimidated I put together this rig per DOT specs. (see pic) It is totally legal, but stupid. Note how the valve doesn't fit the neck. It works fine though, trusted my life to it many times. It is also illegal to fill it with air as this rig (as it is certified) is NITROX ONLY.

Forget the DOT. They aren't YOUR problem. Your hydro guy/gal and your fill guy/gal are the truth, light, and the way. I claim a DOT exemption under 'Materials of Trade'. 49 CFR 173.6 - Materials of trade exceptions.

With a little bit of looking, you can find a DIN (insert) valve that will both fit the neck and allow you to do either yoke or DIN. Look for the yoke dimple on the back. 300 bar regs/manifolds are smooth. You are still within the strength of material specs, but maybe not DOT. Who cares? Go 200 bar and be able to do both.

HP.JPG

Last edited:
Those look like LP 120 Fabers, which are a Beast of a tank, tall and Heavy, make sure you're really up for lugging those things around. Hot dipped galvanized finish is vastly superior to painted tanks, especially for salt water.

+1 on finding some hp100s. I started with AL80s and they worked out ok, but got tired with the end of dive buoyancy issues. Eventually I found four steel 100s on Craigs List and made the jump. This switch allowed me to drop enough lead to get rid of my weight belt and just use weight pouches on my SS BP. Of course, I had to switch to DIN regs etc but have no regrets.

Why did you have to switch to DIN regs? Yoke is good up to at least 3500 psi, and HP tanks are 3442 psi

I didn't want to mess with possible o-ring extrusions and I like that it is more streamlined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom