New diver / used tanks questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm a new diver looking to get some tanks of my own. I'd like to get steel tanks for capacity / size / buoyancy reasons and have been looking for some used tanks.

I found a pair of tanks that are purported to be 121 cf steel tanks, currently marked with Nitrox stickers. I have a few pictures, but none that show the manufacturing marks yet. They are supposed to have been stored with air but need hydro. I have a few questions that perhaps the folks here can help with.
  • So far I've been diving with aluminum 80 tanks. Are these going to be massively too big? As said, I'm a new diver, diving in New York. I'm 5'10".
  • There seems to be a some rust on the outside of the at least one of the tanks. Is this any cause for concern, or just the nature of steel tanks?
  • Any expectation of how much weight I may be able to reduce vs. an AL80?
  • For $225 / pair is it worth taking a gamble these will test OK?
Alternatively, I found a set of 1992 double HP 100 tanks still in hydro for $450. I assume I would would need new valves to go from the DIN manifold to a single yoke configuration, so I don't think its much of a deal.

Any suggestions?

Tank%201%20-1.jpg

Tank%201%20-3.jpg

Tank%201-2.jpg

IMHO, you have two commonly taken options. Either get steel 72's for a song and pump them up to 3K, or go vanilla and get a high pressure steel 100. The 100's are popular as they are a best compromise.

120's are big.

would pass and look for a pair of 3442 hp100s. the lp121 are close to fairly priced and the rust doesn't look too bad, would have to pop the valve and boot off to be sure. but they are heavier and longer such that they aren't a great fit for you.

the hp100s are a bit overpriced for pst 7/8 neck. also you have to factor in that you will need to convert your reg to DIN and get singles valves from xs scuba at 75 a pop each.

Personally, that's more external rust than I'd be willing to consider gambling on. You might get lucky and find them to pass hydro after a good tumbling and cleaning, but I think that rust around the neck says no.

What are your long term goals? If you see tech in your future, larger tanks will support deeper/longer dives. Not an issue though if you are thinking of sidemount

To minimize your gamble, you may want to pay for the hydro and decide then whether you want to take them. There is a price for risk reduction. Or keep looking

would pass and look for a pair of 3442 hp100s. the lp121 are close to fairly priced and the rust doesn't look too bad, would have to pop the valve and boot off to be sure. but they are heavier and longer such that they aren't a great fit for you.

the hp100s are a bit overpriced for pst 7/8 neck. also you have to factor in that you will need to convert your reg to DIN and get singles valves from xs scuba at 75 a pop each.

This is confirming my thoughts. I was concerned the 121s would be too large / heavy but with limited experience with only aluminum 80's don't have a reference.

Same with the hp100s and the conversion costs.

I think my ideal would be hp100s as a balance of capacity and size/weight. But there are not many tanks of any type listed. One "steel" 80 tank I was going to pull the trigger on turned out to be aluminum, and the older alloy type that can't be hydro'd any more to boot.

What are your long term goals? If you see tech in your future, larger tanks will support deeper/longer dives. Not an issue though if you are thinking of sidemount

My long-term goals are...TBD. For now, I expect to be diving fairly shallow areas of north shore Long Island. I have my own boat here so it's easy to get to different local places. Eventually I would like to get my advanced cert and dive areas of the south shore, which are deeper and have some wrecks. So far I'm not really thinking technical diving. Have not given any consideration to sidemount.

I agree with kelemvor--they look pretty bad on the outside and probably need tumbling and cleaning in addition to hydros and valve overhauls. How much do new steel tanks cost? I get old steel 72s for around $15-20 out of hydro and so far only one didn't pass, and that may have been an error.

In any case I'd add up all the costs and weigh that against new tanks.

BTW, I don't fill my 72s to 3000--I fill them to about 2700 which makes them about the same as an AL80 @ 3000. They weigh less than the AL80 and you need about 4 pounds less on your weight belt. The only problem is that some shops won't fill older tanks so if you know someone with a compressor....

My long-term goals are...TBD. For now, I expect to be diving fairly shallow areas of north shore Long Island. I have my own boat here so it's easy to get to different local places. Eventually I would like to get my advanced cert and dive areas of the south shore, which are deeper and have some wrecks. So far I'm not really thinking technical diving. Have not given any consideration to sidemount.
Then skip larger tanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom