New diver looking for a good regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a few on-line reviews, try google.

I have dived Mares MR12 III for many years it was solid, no direct experience with this model. The second stage looks very similar with the Venturi bypass. I had no issues getting Mares serviced in Australia. I am not sure they are as popular as other brands overseas.

You will also need an Occy, I like my Occy to be a match so it I need it it breaths well/the same and at least the same manufacturer so servicing can be done by the one shop:Mares 'Abyss' Octopus | ADRENO Scuba Diving Centre

And a pressure gauge (SPG) you may find this cheaper on eBay also you might go for a 'brass and glass' rather than rubber boot:
Mares Console Mission 1 | ADRENO Scuba Diving Centre
I have a couple of these and they are fine.

What have you done re a computer? My preference is wrist computer but you may prefer a console, if so consider that before you get the SPG as it may restrict your options...

I have had a Hollis DC3-212 set for a year now. I like it so much I just bought a new set for my g/f for Christmas. I also have Dive Rite XT regs for diving doubles and I think the Hollis actually breathe just a smidge easier.

At $149 for a 1st and 2nd stage, you can buy 2 of them for $300, have identical primary and octo, and have a spare 1st stage left over.

Hollis 212 DC3 Regulator with Maxflex hose : Dive Addicts Inc : Hollis...

I actually got mine from Dive Right In Scuba. They price-matched DiveAddicts.

DC3-212 - Dive Right in Scuba

If you want to spend a little less (as I did), you can get a "matching" but not identical Hollis octo like this:

Hollis Balanced 321 Octopus with 36" (91cm) Yellow Hose 240-3624-M

DRiS price-matched that one, as well, so I got a good 1st stage with good 2nd stage and nice octo, all with hoses, for USD$250. Dang hard to beat! And they'll probably ship to Australia, too.

Good options but consider, the OP is in Australia, our exchange rate is poor at the moment ~ .7US = 1AU plus freight cost to Aus from US are not low.

The market is Aus is relatively small so servicing of some brands (not mainstream) can be challenging.

That regulator is a rebadging of the original Mares MR-22DFC Abyss regulator. I've owned many Mares regulators, including the MR12, V16, V32 & MR42. While they are fine regulators they don't breathe as nicely as the Scubapro, Atomic, Apeks or Hog regulators that I have tried. We're talking small degrees but a noticeable difference none the less. Of course, purchase a regulator, where you can obtain service locally.

That 1/2 inch primary port may make it difficult to purchase replacement hoses, if you have a failure, away from your home port. The standard is 3/8 for low pressure ports.

hi guys, much appreciated for all the advice. i am considering the 2 below :
1- Hog D3 cold water version ( seal, DIN)
2 - Apeks xtx50

Hog is much cheaper which is very tempting for a beginner like me. Apeks is a bit more expensive but if the performance is much better, i would consider getting it. and also there is the question of which one is better for future as i plan to do wreck, cave ( if i can), mostly will be boat and shore dive. the max depth iw ould go is 40m -50 as all the wreck is around that depth. i dont think in the near future ( 3-5 years) these gonna change.

So would you have any advice/ recommendation to help me out, that would be much much appreciated.
thank you again. :)

Parts for the Hog will be harder to come by, the Apeks parts are generally available although you may have to pay a shop to do the service. If you can afford them you will be happy with the Apeks regs. I personally keep a set of regs for each config I use, and they are all Apeks regs so I only have to know how to service one brand.

Parts for the HOG are not hard to come by. All he has to do is order them from a dealer like myself. I can ship service kits to anyone. I've sent them to Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Germany, the Phillipines, and Malaysia. Service kits for a reg set can be sent by regular mail for under 10 bucks to most places overseas. Priority would be around 20 and 6-10 days to receive in most areas.

I actually have sent reg sets to Australia and the customers ordered the kits to have for the future.

---------- Post added December 14th, 2015 at 09:28 AM ----------

I'd also recommend looking at the HOG D-1. Less expensive than the D3 and you won't notice the difference in performance. Until you start doing those dives in excess of 300 ft (100 meters) deep. Then the D3 breathes just a bit better. Or so I've been told by some of my customers.

I'd drive down to either Extreme Watersports or IDC Scuba and see what they can do on the Dive Rite XT Advanced OW set. Two full stocking dealers an hour from you means service should be a nonissue, but you can also service them yourself. If Jim can get you a D3/Zenith set from Hog cheaper than they can get you the XT's, and you want to service yourself, then I'd go for those. The Mares isn't a bad reg, that's just a boat load of money for a very gimicky regulator.

From the Australian Govt web site: Buying over the internet

Things you buy over the internet will have the same rules, duties and screening processes applied as any other import.
You need to know that:

• For goods that are worth equal to or under AUD1,000, there are no duties, taxes or charges to pay.

So yeah, I can beat that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom