new computer on ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gt2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just found the computer I'm looking to buy on ebay. Its about 100 bucks less than leisurepro and god only knows how much less than my lds. It says its brand new in the box and has a 10 day return policy. I've emailed the guy to get further info. Does this sound like a reasonable gamble? I wouldn't dare buy something like a regulator off ebay but is a brand new computer a safe bet? Give me your thoughts please. Thanks!

I won't touch it. If you do have any issue, do you really know that you will be able to get any warranty/service from the manufacturer? Is that worth saving a few $'s for?

The way to buy on ebay is check the sellers ratings; lots of sellers are scuba shops, with full guarantees, returns etc. If he has a lot of sales (100 or more) with great ratings, has a return policy, he does a lot of business and sounds like a good seller, there is a way to do business on ebay, most savvy buyers use ebay good luck zeN

Only 12 or 13 items sold by this ebayer but he has 100% positive feedback. I've emailed him to get more info. about the computer. It looks like he does have a return policy. I'll let you all know how it comes out. Thanks

Are you really so interested in saving money on something that could be considered "life support gear"? Sure there is a guarantee, but what good is that if something goes wrong underwater?

The odds of it giving you a catastophic problem is real low, but it is your life we are talking about. Personally, I would be VERY hesitant to buy something like a reg or a computer from a private party that I know nothing about, but that's just me.

If you do decide to buy it, wonder why he is selling it.

My opinions offered only because you asked.

Wristshot

zeN|| once bubbled...
The way to buy on ebay is check the sellers ratings; lots of sellers are scuba shops, with full guarantees, returns etc. If he has a lot of sales (100 or more) with great ratings, has a return policy, he does a lot of business

My feedback is over 200 on ebay and I'm a seller but I don't have a shop. However there are actual licensed businesses that sell on ebay. If they're selling something that they bought and they don't have a license then you have no warranty if something goes wrong a few weeks from now. You should ask if they have a license to sell the item. If no you should consider if it's worth the money you save now. 10 days really isn't a very long for a return policy.

Once you have some savvy about your gear, and how ebay works you can get some great deals, but you have to be careful what you buy, and from whom, there are a lot of first rate sellers with good ratings that have a good record of return/refund/ repair etc, it's not the same as buying from an lds, it's Ebay.
Personally I get the feeling on any of the scuba boards you are going to get a lot of divers who are dive shop employees, and a lot of people who are generally brainwashed by the market mentality that you shouldn't buy gear from private partys, be it new or used-it's taking money away from the LDS! Good Luck zeN

I ebay alot and have found that the problem people are those who insist on Western Union money orders and such, can't p/up and goes to a p.o. box. pay pal helps secure things a bit. You can usual tell a bit about seller based on how the auction is presented. As far as the computer, if you've done your research and its a good deal, go for it. I would

Back
Top Bottom