New Blacktip setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, so wouldn’t a piece of paracord (with a bowline knot on each end to make loops), with a breaking strength of 550 to 750 #s, be MORE than strong enough, cheaper, easier, and safer (by virtue of being quicker and easier to cut in an emergency)?

Do you think you might need the extra breaking strength of the Dyneema for some reason?
Knots are for sissies :) Nobody needs the line with a bolt snap on the nose of their Blacktip scooter to be the strongest piece on the whole rig. I happen to like dyneema, have gotten good at splicing loops into ends (mostly for lift bag tails and reef hook lines), but found my style nose clip works great, is very flexible for multiple purposes, and looks trivially simple. As a plus, I can take out the steel plates on my nose cone and with a big bolt snap my OG Blacktip is pretty much neutrally buoyant)

A buddy with a dive shop said the paracord with all the macrame works well for handing his Blacktip up on a dive boat. It's all personal preference. The Blacktip is the most awesome scooter under $2K that everyone can personalize to their heart's content, and I'm just grateful Dive-X gave us this extremely capable and affordable dive tool

It is. V2.2 is an open source modified version of 1.18 that has extra features. Search around here and you can find info about it. I’m on my mobile, or I’d find a link for you...
Dive-X needs to recognize their brilliance of open sourcing the Blacktip firmware with the vesc ESC, do an internal code review, and incorporate all the great new functionality @benjammin17 provided, especially the slow speed migrate and cruise control. Everyone will benefit by having the code fork make its way back into the production firmware

I use the DeWalt product line and here’s my perspective.

I think a two-bay charger is perfectly suitable for most folks. If you use a set of 12 Ah batteries down to one bar (on the battery), you’re likely to want a long SI anyways or are probably done for the day.

At gear 3, your 12Ah batteries will last 123 minutes total run time / 86 minutes planned run time (70% of TRT).

If you surface and put your batteries on the charger for 90 minutes, I think (gut feel) you can safely plan for a second dive with 60 minutes of planned run time.

The usual variables will play into that…age of batteries, current, hydrodynamic trim, etc.

NOTE: The two bay charger made by DeWalt is NOT manufactured to handle variable input (110 to 220). So, if you use your BlackTip to travel, make sure to check your voltage before plugging it in lest you hear a pop and smell the internal electrical components of your charger burning (DAMHIK). Best to research voltage at your destination and to request a step down transformer be made available. I have one (now) but it’s too heavy to pack for a vacation.

Which DEWALT two bay charger did most of you end up purchasing?

DCB102?

Single bay fast charger - DCB118. The DCB547 (9Ah) batteries are done in 15mins. If the fan's running its charging then swap over.

Has anyone tried the DCB602 models as they are fairly inexpensive right now. $80 a battery vs $220 for DCB609? Just want to get some time with the DPV tell I can get Jona's battery.

Has anyone tried the DCB602 models as they are fairly inexpensive right now. $80 a battery vs $220 for DCB609? Just want to get some time with the DPV tell I can get Jona's battery.
Interesting - the European batteries are 18v 9AH - DCB547. The US ones are 20v 9AH - DCB602.

Wonder if there's any difference -- or just the different markets using different standards to define the voltage.

Interesting - the European batteries are 18v 9AH - DCB547. The US ones are 20v 9AH - DCB602.

Wonder if there's any difference -- or just the different markets using different standards to define the voltage.

They're exactly the same it's just marketing BS in the US. It's 18v nominal (~3.6v x 5 cells in a series) pack.

I think you meant 9AH - DCB609.

The 6AH are DCB602

The NA market is the 20v while the rest of the world uses the 18v battery.

Probably was the DeWalt marketing team preying upon our unquenchable need for everything to be sized for Texas.

Good plan. You can get a lot of learning / training done with a much smaller battery. No need to wait until the 12Ah batteries come in (finally).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom