New Blacktip setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We won't know until they are built and weighed. But your guess sounds right. So far I am happy running 9Ah, 12Ah that exists now would be an increase of 33% and the 15 would be 66%. Maybe the 12 would be a nice upgrade for me, I think 15 would end up being unrealized capacity.
What about using the longer "expedition" tube(s)? Then there's 4 batteries worth of power.

Are they significantly different or inconvenient in comparison to the "Tech"?

I've built a custom 20Ah battery that works perfectly with the tech, neutral after removing one of the weight plates from the cap and some of the balance weights on the tail end. With a smart bms I can disable the battery hence keep it in the scooter when not charging and turn it on/off as needed

What about using the longer "expedition" tube(s)? Then there's 4 batteries worth of power.

Are they significantly different or inconvenient in comparison to the "Tech"?
I would love to hear from someone who uses the expedition tube. I know it is longer, 10 pounds heavier, has a lower depth rating (260' vs 400') and of course it requires 4 batteries instead of 2, but I've never handled one.

I would love to hear from someone who uses the expedition tube. I know it is longer, 10 pounds heavier, has a lower depth rating (260' vs 400') and of course it requires 4 batteries instead of 2, but I've never handled one.

I drove all 3, back to back, in a quarry.

The Expedition was loong. Much more sluggish to turn.

I have never burned through a pair of 12Ah batteries in one day, so I feel no desire whatsoever to have the Expedition tube. However, I DO enjoy having the Travel and Tech tubes. Mostly, I use the Travel, but there are dives where I prefer the Tech.

The Tech is enough longer and heavier than the Travel that that is my main reason for generally using the Travel. The weight and length of the Expedition are just not something I want.

I drove all 3, back to back, in a quarry.

The Expedition was loong. Much more sluggish to turn.

I have never burned through a pair of 12Ah batteries in one day, so I feel no desire whatsoever to have the Expedition tube. However, I DO enjoy having the Travel and Tech tubes. Mostly, I use the Travel, but there are dives where I prefer the Tech.

The Tech is enough longer and heavier than the Travel that that is my main reason for generally using the Travel. The weight and length of the Expedition are just not something I want.
Differences between the Tech & Travel in use? Is the Travel tube a nuisance compared with the Tech?

I have the Tech and wonder if the Travel tube has benefits worth buying?

Differences between the Tech & Travel in use? Is the Travel tube a nuisance compared with the Tech?

I have the Tech and wonder if the Travel tube has benefits worth buying?

The differences are pretty minor, in the grand scheme of things.

The extra length and weight of the Tech seems small, but it is very noticeable. - OUT of the water. The Tech is much more likely to tip over if it's standing upright on a boat or on the floor in the back seat area of my truck. On the boats I have taken it on, Travels have stood upright just fine, even when not secured. My Tech has fallen over, while stood right next to the Travels.

Also, when carrying them, you can generally carry the Travel by the nose handle without concern of the shroud hitting anything. With the Tech, if you're walking over rough ground or navigating stairs, you potentially have to lift it up to be sure the shroud doesn't hit anything. If I were doing a shore entry in surf, I think the Travel would be much easier to deal with.

In the water:

The Travel is more nimble. It is easier to cut really tight turns.

The Travel works best with the tow cord at 6/12 o'clock. The Tech will work equally well like that or with the tow cord at 3/9 o'clock (which some people prefer).

When you stop, the Travel will go nose up. In open water, I don't find that to be a problem. Usually, if I'm stopping to do something, I am going to push my scooter over to the side anyway, so I don't care whether it floats in trim or nose up. I have penetrated a wreck while scootering and for that, I definitely prefer the Tech, so I can stop and go without the scooter changing attitude at all and without any initial blowing on the bottom when I start it. You CAN push the Travel nose down to horizontal before starting it, but sometimes that might not be convenient, in tight quarters. OTOH, if you're using your scooter to blow off the bottom (say, prospecting for megalodon teeth), the Travel actually seems like a better choice.

So, to ME, I had the Travel first and then got a deal on a secondhand Tech tube kit. Also, through a stroke of bad luck with a happy ending, I also ended up with a second nose piece for my BlackTip. I don't regret spending the money to buy the Tech, and it is very convenient to have a separate nose for each scooter.

I have one nose weighted for the Travel in fresh water, and I have a weight plate with stick-on weights that I can add to that in seconds to weight it for salt water. I have the other nose weighted for the Tech in fresh water, and the Tech tube came with a weight plate to add for salt water. If I only had one nose, with the different weight requirements for fresh water, between the Travel and Tech, it would be somewhat of a pain to switch back and forth.

If I had gotten a BT with the Tech tube first, it probably would not have been worth it - to ME - to buy a Travel tube. I doubt I will ever fly with my scooter. Flying with a CCR and a big camera kit is enough of a hassle without adding another big case to the mix.

Thanks @stuartv

Hadn't thought about the need for separate nose cones.

I've solved the problem of a nose handle with some nice seafarer knitting. It's really convenient as you just grab the thing by the horn and most people do the same. Somewhat convenient in the water too as you can easily grab it if you stop, or when you're jumping off the boat, etc.

Used it a couple of times and seems OK. TBH it's also really useful for just moving it around on the ground: when I placed it for the photo I was far easier to grab the knob and lift it.

Blacktip - handle1.jpg
Blacktip - handle2.jpg

I was an early adopter before they called the short tube "the travel" so when they released the longer tech tube I bought one with the minor discount they were offering.

I also ended up buying a new nose cone so I could have one weighted for video lights + camera and one when I didn't put any of that on my scooter. I also bought my wife a scooter so we have two Blacktips with tech bodies.

I like having a backup tube + nose cone enough that I am thinking about buying a third tail section so we have a backup scooter. :)

I seldom use my travel tube unless I am flying somewhere. 90% of my diving is with the tech tube since I prefer it to be neutral and trim out. I prefer the tech tube since I am used to using bigger scooters anyway so the extra length does not bother me.

I've also got a custom 20Ah battery for mine so I just leave the battery in the scooter and pull the nose cone off when I want to charge it. I use this in Florida or for long range shore dive diving. When I fly I just take the 12Ah DeWalts.

90% of my diving is with the tech tube since I prefer it to be neutral and trim out.

I see people say this a lot and I always have this strong urge to make the following observation:

The Travel tube is also neutral (when setup properly). Being "neutral and trim" is NOT an advantage of the Tech over the Travel. Only, in being in trim when stopped.

Thanks @stuartv

Hadn't thought about the need for separate nose cones.

I've solved the problem of a nose handle with some nice seafarer knitting. It's really convenient as you just grab the thing by the horn and most people do the same. Somewhat convenient in the water too as you can easily grab it if you stop, or when you're jumping off the boat, etc.

Used it a couple of times and seems OK. TBH it's also really useful for just moving it around on the ground: when I placed it for the photo I was far easier to grab the knob and lift it.

View attachment 719597View attachment 719598

Nice work. :) But, you might not have felt it necessary at all if your scooter was shorter and 5# lighter... :)

I replaced the "handle" on the side with one that is similar, but made of 2" webbing and a hose clamp. The standard side handle that comes with it is ridiculously lame. But, made up as I did mine, I think it's nice. And, it works well to carry the unit with the bonus of having the tail higher off the ground than if carrying by the nose handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom