New Army Combat Diving School In Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The U.S. Naval School Underwater Swimmers (UWSS) was established on Fleming Key off Key West in 1954 but was closed in 1973? I believe things kept going there but perhaps just under a different name for the SEALS and other services. The Army seems to have formally taken the place over as of 2012.

!

Totally different and unaffiliated schools The Army school has been there in constant operation for at least 50 years. Look at the article I linked to above.

There is a joint training Army/Navy Engineer diving school in Panama City. Army does phase 1 in Ft Leonard Wood Mo. and Phase 2 in Fl with the Navy.

Special Forces Underwater Operations School Marks 50 Years | Military.com

... I remember kayaking around the island. I was paddling at night and accidentally paddled into the middle of a SF night swim. I was surrounded by guys swimming in full gear in the dark.

A rare night indeed.

Lots of people see whales while kayaking. How many get to see an entire class of Special Forces divers?

A rare night indeed.

Lots of people see whales while kayaking. How many get to see an entire class of Special Forces divers?

When the Navy comes to town, they have a navigation exercise. They do this a couple of times a year. They are dropped off somewhere outside the reef at night, and they have to swim into Safe Harbor by compass, submerged. They have all night, but they must do it in a night. The instructors are in small rhibs, and if the chemlight on a diver breaks the surface, they are DQd. We like to sit on the sundeck of the Spree and watch them go bu, they come in the harbor, turn around, and leave again. All submerged, all quiet (rebreathers), and without breaking the surface. And don't get bit by a shark. I could never do it, but then, I don't have to.

... They are dropped off somewhere outside the reef at night, and they have to swim into Safe Harbor by compass, submerged. They have all night, but they must do it in a night. The instructors are in small rhibs, and if the chemlight on a diver breaks the surface, they are DQd. ...

Suuuuch a rigid attitude. Where's the icon for fond nostalgic sadness? :sigh:

Said the instructor, once upon a time: "Do not even think about trying to peek so you can orient yourself. If we see you on the surface, even for a second, you are outta here. No exceptions, no appeals."

As inexperienced students, we used to debate the fairness of that well into the night.

Some stubborn holdouts argued that 'buoyancy accidents happen', and 'one small mistake should not mean the end of your career', but the large majority agreed that anyone with a basic level of competence should be able to hold it together for an hour or two on a training dive.

After we got back to our units, it didn't take too long to fully appreciate just how important it was to have a team composed entirely of people who absolutely, positively would not break the surface until the signal was given to exit.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom