New AOW and where to go for economical gears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lava L

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys!
I just got into diving this summer and am a newbie AOW. I can't wait to log more dives! :yeahbaby:
I have my own Mask, Snorkel, Boots, Fins, Basic strapped-on knife, a basic UW light and a new wetsuit (probably had spent a little too much on the wetsuit:( ). I figure the earlier I get my own equipment the more I will save (at least that's the goal:wink:) I hope to build up all skills and experiences necessary to do polar diving next year! (Just got my drysuit specialty).
Sorry for the long background story but what I am looking for are advises and suggestion about my next gear purchase. Is it worthy to get used gears first then step up to new ones? If so, where to go and which gear? What gear should I get brand new? Is it worthy for me to get cold water regulators now? (I am living in Panama now and will probably do most of my dives here in the next year or so)
Thanks in advance!

Always nice to own your gear. Buying new is always the best choice if funds are available. You know how it’s been treated, how it’s been serviced and that it has warranty. Your next choice will likely be regs or a bcd. Both items keep you alive. For the bcd consider trying a back inflate wing style. If you have a chance to try in a pool or on an easy dive you might really like it. Much more comfortable. Good diving.

See if any of these retailers ship there - I think Leisurepro will. All are reputable dealers for what they sell.

www.leisurepro.com
www.scubatoys.com
www.diversdirect.com
www.diverightinscuba.com

also check warranty coverage in your country.

Try on any BC if possible - preferably with a tank. The tightness of the pockets on mine changes significantly with one in place when I stand. Small issue but I didn't realize it until I bought it. It's fine once I'm floating.

We dove Contadora and really enjoyed it....we liked Panama City too! Do you have a Craiglist? If so, or similar, check that out too.

Some things I am really happy I got used. Computer if you can replace the battery and can get some history. Tanks same deal if they look they will pass hydro.

My local shop was dumping some wings since they were moving a way from brand x. Got a new wing 35% off.

If you are patient I think you can find deals.

Used gear is a good way to acquire gear on a budget, however you have to know what you are looking at and what condition it is in. A lot of research and a mentor to help is a real plus.

Buying used from a reputable local dive shop is a way to get good serviced used gear.

The online shops mentioned by @diversteve have good sales, and I have gotten some real good deals from Leisurepro returns on special.

I think the best way to go about your quest is to pick an item, check prices, check features, check old threads and start a new thread on Scubaboard, make your choice, buy the best deal. Then move to the next item and repeat.

If you don't spend a lot, then there is little buyers remorse later, and you can make a better choice later with experience to know what type of diving you like and what equipment would suit you better. Or, in the worse case, you drop diving for another hobby you will not lose a fortune.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom