• Neoprene Strap

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • "Regular" Strap

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Really? Who Cares?

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have now done all of 1 pool dive and 1 quarry dive with a neoprene strap. I am not sure I like its lack of "give" - to me it is not as friendly for donning or doffing. I am curious as to how other feel.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan, I prefer regular strap. It's also pain to put on since you have to undo the strap then rethread it.

My daughter uses one though, says it's easier to slide over her hair and more comfortable with her pony tail. I think she just likes adding extra pink to her gear.

I think slap straps are much better.

I have now done all of 1 pool dive and 1 quarry dive with a neoprene strap. I am not sure I like its lack of "give" - to me it is not as friendly for donning or doffing. I am curious as to how other feel.

A good quality "slap strap" will provide stretch across the neoprene portion, the nylon webbing of course does not stretch. The edges of the neoprene pad have to be sewn with a lycra based edge tape and the correct stitch to allow the neoprene portion to stretch. Pull on the neo pad and see if it has any give to it.

Neoprene also gets old and stiff, so expect to replace the slap strap every so often.

Most of my diving is in fairly cold water with 12 mm hoods, and I still prefer the slap strap. Makes one handed mask replacement much easier as the strap slides a bit on the hood.

Depending on the strap and mask combo they also make my mask just barely float, not huge deal, but a nice plus.

Tobin

I will simply not dive with a rubber strap anymore. Neoprene is simply far superior IMO.

Thanks, Tobin! I never even looked at how my slap straps are put together :)

I vastly prefer them. Once you have the strap length set correctly, donning a mask is as simple as placing it on your face and sliding the strap down the back of your head. I feel so sorry for our students, who have to fuss with the plastic straps, which are always twisting, and have a vicious affinity for long hair.

Slap Strap all the way for me. I find it much easier to put my mask on with the slap strap and even though my hair is not long, it helps with the inevitable gripping and pulling of hair that you get with the standard straps. Sadly, my mask is still rather negative even with the slap strap.....(found out the hard way) :doh:. But it is one of those items that people are going to like both or one side or the other......that is all good. It does not impact my diving so you wear on your head whatever you want.

I love slap straps and would never go back to a hair-eating regular strap.

Agree with the above.

Tobin, I checked your website just in case, and I couldn't find a slap strap there! Do you recommend one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom