Neoprene Dry Suits? What's good, What's bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my opininion as a recreational diver, but as soon as I clipped on a halogen cannister light all weight issues went out the window. The thing is HEAVY. Add a stainless back plate and you could sink the bismark. Not sure all recreational divers are into can lights and plates but once you get them, its hard to go back to pistols & palstic. Can only imagine what doubles must be like.

This information is extemely helpful. Please keep the thoughts coming. The one issue know one seems to agree on is boots. Personally, I always liked using attached boots on my shell with a pair of gators. It seems that some of you like the rock boot system, while some do not.

Also, what is the standard warranty on most Neoprene suits. I know USIA offers a lifetime warranty on our seams, but I'm wondering if people have more problems with Neoprene?

Al Mialkovsky:
No the Whites are crushed, I forget who does compressed. Same result though. Mine is 4mil crushed and it's very toasty and to dive it I require 24 pounds of lead with all my polar undies on so very little weight and I weigh 215 and it ain't all muscle trust me.

I thought DUI had a patent on "crushed" and all I could find on the Whites home page was compressed.

Al Mialkovsky:
No the Whites are crushed, I forget who does compressed. Same result though. Mine is 4mil crushed and it's very toasty and to dive it I require 24 pounds of lead with all my polar undies on so very little weight and I weigh 215 and it ain't all muscle trust me.

What's the context?

Salt or fresh?
What cylinder?
How cold is the water you wee toasty in?

Pete

Today was my first dive in my new 7mm Atlan Neoprene Dry Suit. After diving, and learning in a Harvey's Shell, I have to say that I LOVE the Neoprene.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about standard 7mm neo, not crushed or compressed. The suit has latex seals on both the wrist and the neck. (a must have IMHO)

I have spent weeks reading all of the pros and cons and decided to go neo even with all the talk of the suits leaking, compressing and other such gab.

Todays dive was to 48 ffw with a bottom temp of 54 deg. Not only did the suit not leak a drop, I never came close to feeling the cold from the water and no extra weight was needed. The suit dove smoother that the shell with less effort needed to move through the water. The biggest difference, for me, come in the bouyance control and squeeze of the suit. During the dive the squeeze was smooth and even with no pinching at all. At one point I did add a quick blast of air for max comfort . I found the control of the suit to be amazing. No problem reaching the valves, I never felt out of control and never got that uneven feeling from the feet. The suit has attached boots but unlike the shell suit, there is no need for gators. As for drying time, my suit was nearly dry by the time I packed up. The end of the arm were still plenty wet but the body of the suit was 80% dry.

I've never had a seam leak or tear in a neoprene suit, although I did have a problem with the seam in the crotch of my Diamond trilam. In my opinion, the stretch of the neoprene helps prevent any stresses being concentrated in one point.

Of course, I also don't have problems getting cold in a neoprene suit with a pair of polypro sweats for undergarments in 32-40 degree water. I stay warmer than I did in a trilam with 400 G thinsulate.

I also only require about 6 lbs more weight in a 5mm/7mm drysuit than with a 7mm semi-dry and only about 2 lbs more than with a trilam. This is with a XL suit on my 210 lb frame.

Bob_B:
Today was my first dive in my new 7mm Atlan Neoprene Dry Suit. After diving, and learning in a Harvey's Shell, I have to say that I LOVE the Neoprene.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about standard 7mm neo, not crushed or compressed. The suit has latex seals on both the wrist and the neck. (a must have IMHO)

I have spent weeks reading all of the pros and cons and decided to go neo even with all the talk of the suits leaking, compressing and other such gab.

Todays dive was to 48 ffw with a bottom temp of 54 deg. Not only did the suit not leak a drop, I never came close to feeling the cold from the water and no extra weight was needed. The suit dove smoother that the shell with less effort needed to move through the water. The biggest difference, for me, come in the bouyance control and squeeze of the suit. During the dive the squeeze was smooth and even with no pinching at all. At one point I did add a quick blast of air for max comfort . I found the control of the suit to be amazing. No problem reaching the valves, I never felt out of control and never got that uneven feeling from the feet. The suit has attached boots but unlike the shell suit, there is no need for gators. As for drying time, my suit was nearly dry by the time I packed up. The end of the arm were still plenty wet but the body of the suit was 80% dry.
I'll second all of the above...except the latex seal thing - I really prefer neoprene - they are warmer and less likely to burp in head up positions.

I was converted from a die hard trilam believer after 15 years to an ardent neoprene dry suit fan by one dive in a borrowed Atlan 7mm neoprene suit. I used to dive a wet suit when ever possible for the improved swimmability and freedom it offered than a drysuit, but that stopped when I bought my own 7mm neoprene drysuit as it gets worn year round.

USIA:
This information is extemely helpful. Please keep the thoughts coming. The one issue know one seems to agree on is boots. Personally, I always liked using attached boots on my shell with a pair of gators. It seems that some of you like the rock boot system, while some do not.
OK Jerry, You have identified a big problem with all dry suits, not just neoprene. Get creative and come up with a good solution. DUI has ZipSeals but only on the wrists and neck. I certainly understand that the problems of putting a ZipSeal sort of thing on boots is considerable, not withstanding the issue of patents. Perhaps putting the connection on the meaty part of the calf is the best place. Invent your own flexible wrist, neck, and boot zipper system and give DUI a run for the money.

Boot type and size is a permanent choice, but a diver may switch from a boat, to a rocky shore entry, to stairs (like in cave country) in a relatively short time, but their original boot choice might not be best for some of these environments.

I am new to diving dry and have only used a shell, but I am not new to diving and in my case I travel a lot so weight and packed size are big factors so I am probably not a good candidate for neoprene, or even the bulkier shell suits. My thick wet suit is often a problem to pack.

Good luck, and by the way I want to applaud your efforts to solicit opinions from us here on this forum. There are some posers here, but there are also lots of good thinking divers here as well.

Mark Vlahos

If you could put the same material in those fancy stain-repelling pants on the outside of a neoprene drysuit, would it dry faster?

Diving Concepts from Santa Barbara, CA also makes neoprene dry suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom