Neoprene Dry Suits? What's good, What's bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evad:
I thought DUI had a patent on "crushed" and all I could find on the Whites home page was compressed.
I'm sure you're right. I'm a crappy salesman. It must be compressed.

USIA:
This information is extemely helpful. Please keep the thoughts coming. The one issue know one seems to agree on is boots. Personally, I always liked using attached boots on my shell with a pair of gators. It seems that some of you like the rock boot system, while some do not.

Also, what is the standard warranty on most Neoprene suits. I know USIA offers a lifetime warranty on our seams, but I'm wondering if people have more problems with Neoprene?

I thought I'd miss my rock boots when I went to my neoprene drysuit.. I do not.. if fact you couldn't pay me to go back. I've seen some built in boots that were less then optimal harveys and bare come to mind. But if you search the market you'll find some outstanding examples of excellent boot systems that are built in. IMO I wouldn't build in gators.. make sure the suit fits that legs right and there should be no problem.

Bare has a lifetime warranty on seams. That is amazing on a shako <sp> suit. However if you use a superior grade of neoprene something commercial such as the HighTide line does seams become a non issue.. but the you can't make a $500 suit.. you'll be asking $1000+ depending on the protective nylon exterior.

I own a Whites TriLam (Catalyst Quadflex), but it started leaking so it's currently up in Saanichton, BC getting repaired. My LDS loaned me a Northern Diver DiveMaster neoprene suit a couple of weeks ago and I was amazed at the difference. At first I didn't care for it... it gave me extreme claustrophobia to fit it over my head, and I discovered I needed an extra 5 pounds to dive with it. Also I was amazed at how much squeeze I got compared to my TriLam suit. Besides the squeeze, however, it was comfortable and I was WARM! I'm often get cold in my Catalyst - I added drygloves and even Argon and still get cold. The "4mm hyper-compressed neoprene" on the Northern Diver suit made a big difference. I also found that I didn't shuck the suit during the Surface Interval (part of that was because I didn't want to go through the effort). Still it was very comfortable on the boat.

As for boots - I use Whites EvoII boots over my built-in Catalyst socks. They are extremely stable on the boat or on rocks. However I had to move to humongous XXL Jet Fins to fit over the (size 13) boots. The built-in boots on the Northern Diver and the Andes DS1 I've rented work fine, however, and with those I don't need the XXL Jets to dive.

As for hoods - None of the drysuits I've used so far have built-in hoods - I have a Henderson Hyperstretch Artic hood. With my claustrophobic tendencies I can't imagine diving with a built-in hood, but I've been happy with an add-on dryhood.

As for warrantees: I got word back from my LDS a couple of days ago that Whites is saying that my leak is due to a de-lamination around the intake valve. Whites apparently only offers 1 year on materials and 2 on workmanship. Since the suit is 18 months old, apparently I'm SOL :-(. They're still negotiating, so hopefully they (either Whites or my LDS) will do something for me.

Jerry

Just wondering what type of rig, most of you that are adding weight, are using. I assume it must be a single rig. I'm in double 108s so I have not had to add weight to use the 7mm suit. I guess that is another benefit for me. I am not as negative in the 7mm.

As for the boots, my Atlan has a rubber type 3/4 boot. (best way I know to describe it) It is 1000% better that the mess that is on the Havey's. I've never tried the rock boot or the Evo's so I can't speak as to the difference.

geraldp:
As for warrantees: I got word back from my LDS a couple of days ago that Whites is saying that my leak is due to a de-lamination around the intake valve. Whites apparently only offers 1 year on materials and 2 on workmanship. Since the suit is 18 months old, apparently I'm SOL :-(. They're still negotiating, so hopefully they (either Whites or my LDS) will do something for me.Jerry
This is really bogus on the part of Whites. They have had some other customer support issues and wicked slow turnaround times on some repairs. This does not reflect well on them.

Tom Winters:
This is really bogus on the part of Whites. They have had some other customer support issues and wicked slow turnaround times on some repairs. This does not reflect well on them.
At the shop I instruct for we haven't had a single customer complaint about Whites themselves or their service. Turnarounds have been speedy.

I've never dove dry but on the wetsuits I rent the first thing to go is the knees. Tough knees are a must on any exposure suit IMO.

Just my .02 psi.

Drysuits are pretty much year 'round here tho I prefer a wetsuit above 50 deg. F. Mine is a 4 year old 7mm Harvey's .
Since I started club diving I'm the only neoprene dry suit user so far, most are in DUI TLS's

I dive the O'neill neoprene drysuit (with DC neo drygloves). The only negative aspects are the weight needed to sink and a slight reduction in mobility compared to other materials.

Everything else is good in my opinion; streamlined, durable, warm, better thermal protection in the event of a ripped suit, seam and zipper life (neo stretches and helps protect these items), and cost.

There are better suits, but none are 5 times better. I can buy a brand new O'Neill neo drysuit for $500. You are not 5 times warmer or 5 times more comfortable in a $2500 suit. When my current suit dies I will buy another.

--Matt

Seems to me the biggest advantage with a neoprene suit is the fact that it's strechy. This means it's more forgiving of fit, and fit seems to be the most important quality of a drysuit. Here in the PNW almost everybody I dive with uses a neoprene suit; I don't know if it's because of the water temps, the conditions, or just plain dogma. People here swear by High Tide Drysuits, I believe they have a lifetime warranty on all seams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom