Nekton Rorqual 7/25/09 - 8/1/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately all of my bad experiences have been on liveaboards

In terms of bad diving skills, yes, I would absolutely agree.

There is the additional whammy of all of the new challenges and dive-op intricacies that really pile it on. I would guess that the first time most North American divers have seen real current (not the Mexican breeze of Cozumel), is when they plunk down the $4500 to get their first lesson in "applied advanced diving" in the Galloping Pogos.

I'm sure Frank (Wookie) from the Spree has seen a few interesting experts get on board.

And then the whole social aspect rears its ugly head about being trapped in a small tin can for a week with ______ . (fill in your own nightmare)

the pilot also lost the entire dive deck during a reposition, which is whats going to happen on the rorqual if they dont get the hydrolics fixed.

I was on the Pilot when we lost the dive deck (late 90s). We had just finished shipyard and USCG inspection and the dive deck checked out perfectly. We were bringing the boat from Ft. Lauderdale to George Town, Great Exuma and were less than 30 miles off of Ft. Lauderdale in extremely rough sea conditions. A wave of more than 15 feet hit the Pilot from behind and knocked the dive deck clear off the boat-32 tanks, 2 skiffs, etc. No one was hurt, but it was quite an experience.

Since that event both the Pilot and Rorqual have been fitted with straps to secure the dive deck in rough sea conditions. The hydraulics have nothing to do with "losing the dive deck." When the cables jump the track it is a PIA and requires the crew to work their arses off to get it repaired, but the deck would not be in danger of coming off. How do YOU know that the Rorqual will lose their dive deck if they don't get the hydraulics fixed (just like how do YOU know all the drug tests came back clean?)? You sound like someone eager to trash the company.

I would still appreciate any info. regarding the Pilot being broken down. I am going on her next week, and I called their office numerous times Sunday with no answer (I will try again today). Thanks:depressed:

I would still appreciate any info. regarding the Pilot being broken down. I am going on her next week, and I called their office numerous times Sunday with no answer (I will try again today). Thanks:depressed:

I heard from one of the office employees Saturday night that this week's charter left without a hitch.

Thanks Jon! I just got off the phone with them, and everythings up and running again. Now its time to start packing dive gear/photo gear. The anticipation leading up to a dive trip is always fun.

Thanks Jon! I just got off the phone with them, and everythings up and running again. Now its time to start packing dive gear/photo gear. The anticipation leading up to a dive trip is always fun.

Hope you have calm seas and clear water. Wish I was going, but you'll have to let us know how it goes.

We were on the Rorqual the week of Aug. 9 to 15. Most of the crew were new. There was not much said about the crew change. Some of the crew pretty much got on the boat with us, so not everything went as smooth. The boat itself was in worse shape that in was last June when we were on it. We had to port the last day at the pier again to fill the fresh water tanks as there were issues with the fresh water maker onboard. The captain and crew seemed to get along fine, but not all the crew seemed happy to be there.

<<the whole social aspect>> - you find out how people use the slightest thing to determine opinions of you. A British diver (I like British people generally) stopped talking to me after I, as a speed and technology enthusiast who enjoys most types of racing or powered vehicles, said I enjoyed the competitive aspect of Nascar (anybody can win). He kept accepting my wife's shots of Patron, though. One lady took an instant dislike to my youthful appearance which is enhanced/aggravated by my fair complexion, even refusing to shake my offered hand during group goodbyes. Her grumbling indicated I didn't "deserve" a trip on a liveaboard. I didn't bother to tell her I was probably 20 years older than she thought. I just don't get it. I always show basic courtesy, and it sucks to spend a whole trip with people who can't even say 'morning, and you come back from a dive and no one talks to anyone. We have met some good people like the guy in Palau that scoffed at the wife's inexperience on the shuttle to the boat, and then came to respect us (we listen to advice). His comment on one dive "get the hell outta the water!" after I used my air well and was last out was the highest compliment of the trip. Despite all this, for what you get, liveaboards are the only way to go for me.

Tell everyone I said hi!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom