Nekton Rorqual 7/25/09 - 8/1/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The employees have no reason to be happy there because they dont recieve pay. I have family and friends that were on the boat till this month. They have not recieved cc tips or pay. Others had checks bounce.There was an incident with a pipe, and I dont know if it was dealt with properly or not, but the employees still dont recieve checks. They tried to withhold payment for some from even before the drug test was conducted.

One can only hope that while the Pilot has her engines "changed" that they'll do a complete refurbishment of the entire boat. She needed it 2 years ago when we were aboard, so I can only imagine she needs it even more now. :wink: Plus there's nothing like enjoying a completely refurbished boat for a trip!

Well, I am going to be on the Pilot in 8 hours, I hope the old engines hold up! Looking forward to when / if it is refurbished (that would be great).

One can only hope that while the Pilot has her engines "changed" that they'll do a complete refurbishment of the entire boat. She needed it 2 years ago when we were aboard, so I can only imagine she needs it even more now. :wink: Plus there's nothing like enjoying a completely refurbished boat for a trip!

i wouldn't count on it being refurbished. the company cant even pay its employees. They've finally given everyone (or close to everyone i think a couple people are still missing checks) BAD CHECKS! No ones been able to cash them because there is no money in the account.

Not only that looking at my checks, something isnt adding up and i mean the credit card tips. Maybe they thought this might go unnoticed, but i kept track of our credit card tips. and theres about $200 missing from each check. I'm not the only one whose noticed either. I understand our credit card tips get taxed, but i dont think $200 worth or taxes was suppsoed to be taken out. i guess its time to get a lawyer.

OMG, that sounds EXACTLY like the group that was on our NW Bahamas trip a few years ago!! Please tell me they weren't an older group from NJ! Was one of them named Herb?

No this Group was from Oklahoma. Just to give you a good idea how bad they were 2 members of there group asked me and the trip leader from my shop if they can join us on our next trip and get away from them. It was an older chubby couple and they both had at least 8-12k in camera equipment.

Winguric....Thanks for the positive report....good to hear since I'll be going in October.

Did you say anything to those people who damaged the Coral and hit you in the face with their first stage?....I never have a problem telling people what they did or are doing when I am topside....LOL....they usually stay clear of me the next time were in the water!...I appreciate it when someone tells me if I am inadvertently rude or damaged something.

No i didn't but sure wish i did but knowing my temper there would have been a man overboard cry shortly after, and not by me.

But when you go in October please give Scarlet:coolingoff:, Toni :coolingoff:and Jamie :lotsalove:my best, we had a lot of fun.

One of the NJ divers in the "bad group" on our trip made the mistake of literally shoving me out of his way during a night dive so he could take pictures of a Loggerhead turtle. :no::no: Gee, sucked to be him when I positioned my light right behind his right ear and all the bloodworms and night creatures started swarming around his head. :blinking: :crafty:

You should have seen the "Operation Hailstorm Re-enactors" I recently dove with on the Truk Odyssey!

:D
Some friends and I are planning a trip on Truk Odyssey for 2011...would you mind sending me a PM about how you liked your trip? :blinking:

This is just plain getting kinda' goofy. I didn't know there were even that many former crewmen. Wow, what a lot of anonymous first posts.

We have two spots reserved for our Nekton trip in a few weeks. My only concern is the Storm Reports!
Their posts are starting to sound more and more unbelievable to me. They are trying to chase people away from the Nekton...geez people, do the math, the fewer passengers they get, the less money they make, the less chance you have of getting your alleged back pay. :shakehead:

Ok.. I've been reading this entire thread and just need to put my 2 cents in, on kind of unrelated, but related subject.

First of all let me say, that I previously went on two itineraries with Nekton, the Northern Bahamas and the Cay Sal Bank, several years ago. I had a fabulous time with no drama whatsoever (that I can remember).

I was supposed to go on my third trip with Nekton last week (8/15 - 8/22) - but unfortunatly we got blown out by the Tropical Storms Ana and Bill. This trip was with a group that had gotten blown out previously a couple of years ago by Hurricane Dennis. Everyone from that trip (Dennis trip) received vouchers for 50% off their next trip (for them and a guest). This was the 50% off trip. :depressed:

Now since we got blown out again Nekton is offering us 1 year to use our 100% voucher to rebook any trip. Apparently the Pilot is down until April... which leaves only the Rorqual to use until then.

B***it... :confused: I want a refund of my money. Who's to say this company is even going to be in business in a year and there it goes... we've lost our money for our trip.

I sent Nekton an email earlier this week (Monday), having heard NOTHING from them, I again sent it Wednesday and here it is Friday, still nothing from them. :shakehead:

Hence my rant after reading all these posts... I obviously am never going to see my money returned to me.

I guess my next email... No, make that letter, will come from my attorney to obtain my refund.

Sorry for getting off topic...
Theresa I am sorry to read this and I hope that they come up with a mutually agreeable solution. I really, really, really wish you had gone with us last week.

That's what we were told by a rep from Nekton when our group was trying to rebook (unless I misunderstood something) but here is their schedule for the Pilot for the rest of the year:

Schedule

Now after reading other posts I hear there were "engine" problems that canceled our trip, not the weather?! If I put 2 and 2 together with the Pilot schedule and our cancellation, would make sense to me?!
Yes the engines were broken and the Pilot was towed back from the Bahamas. They worked fine for us all week.

Holy smokes, that's a long time for the Pilot to be out of service!! Wonder what "refit" means?? Overhaul of the entire boat??
I hope so. The boat is really worn and shabby. Don't get me wrong, it didn't ruin my trip, I was very happy with the accomodations, but the boat is really showing its age. I'd love to see her after the refit.

I'm thinking tltracy is strictly and rightly interested in a unilaterally agreeable solution now. :) Kudos to her for continuing to try to make it work. Her opinion and future dollars are hinging on something as simple as mere communication right now. Wow, scheduling trips between hurricane seasons is tough! Perhaps that's another reason why doing business is so difficult. Constantly dealing with weather related rebates must kill the ability to move forward and count on revenue.

And remember everybody, as even Cappy will likely agree, it's the trips AFTER the first one after the refit that will start to show the payoff as it still takes time to iron out the kinks. Though thinking logically, after the company pays the big bucks for the repairs, the crew could suffer since it seems they don't always have cash for both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom