Need wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I ordered a new BP/W. I thought the explorer I ordered was good for one or two tanks, it's not. The Pioneer wing 27lb is no longer being made and the 30 lb is not out yet. I would still like the option of single or double without having to keep two wings around. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

It is not possible to be both DIR and do what you are suggesting.

There are more than 6 wing manufacturers that make single tank wings that can/are DIR compliant.

Wildcard:
I ordered a new BP/W. I thought the explorer I ordered was good for one or two tanks, it's not. The Pioneer wing 27lb is no longer being made and the 30 lb is not out yet. I would still like the option of single or double without having to keep two wings around. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

My advice is to buy a second wing. You already have an Explorer. Do you plan to return it and buy some compromise wing?

I know of no wing I'd recommend for both doubles and singles, the two applications are just too different.

Tobin

Go get a wing for singles and one for doubles. If you want to be happy underwater, just go get one for each application.

You can probably find a decent single tank wing at a good price on this board. I dive a Pioneer 36 and love it, and an Explorer 55 when I dive doubles. The eclipse is an excellent choice, and Golem gear makes really tough wings and I hear the prices are good.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input.

have to separate wings for the ob. one for singles the other with doubles. you cannot have one wing for both.

For an upcoming Hermes Expedition and side trip to Phuket, I'm planning on using an Explorer 40lb. Wing as a compromise, for both double AL80's and singles with a STA.
Can see immediately the problems of wing wraparound/"taco" effect on a single tank, as well as the inflator elbow into the bladder banging onto the tank's valve & shoulder. Unfortunately I'll have to make do. . . I don't have enough carrying space in my luggage to bring an extra dedicated single tank wing.:ne_nau:

I'm looking for the complete opposite as you. I have a DR RecWing which is billed as both a single and a doubles wing. Unfortunately, just like an all-in-one printer/fax/copier/scanner, it works for multiple functions but does none of them very well.

I just picked up a doubles wing and will keep the RecWing until I get a good singles wing.

You can have your cake and eat it too but some times it just does taste as good as you had hoped.

Kevrumbo:
For an upcoming Hermes Expedition and side trip to Phuket, I'm planning on using an Explorer 40lb. Wing as a compromise, for both double AL80's and singles with a STA.
Can see immediately the problems of wing wraparound/"taco" effect on a single tank, as well as the inflator elbow into the bladder banging onto the tank's valve & shoulder. Unfortunately I'll have to make do. . . I don't have enough carrying space in my luggage to bring an extra dedicated single tank wing.:ne_nau:

kev, so its possible to make do with a explorer for with sta for singles tank diving? im curious how it will feel? aside from the taco effect would it get the job done for singles?

Haven't tried it out on a dive yet Spoon. . . but just kitting it up on the BP with the single AL80, the 40lb. Explorer Wing looks very sloppy & floppy. On a dive, you may have to go completely vertical trimwise on ascent, to control & vent the wing evenly. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom