Need wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo:
Haven't tried it out on a dive yet Spoon. . . but just kitting it up on the BP with the single AL80, the 40lb. Explorer Wing looks very sloppy & floppy. On a dive, you may have to go completely vertical trimwise on ascent, to control & vent the wing evenly. . .

thanks i gave my eclipse to my gf so im stuck with doubles unless i get a new wing

onfloat:
Post 7 & 8 are not DIR answers. It's the proper tool for the job kind of thing. It may work to some degree, but it's not DIR. The only reason I bring it up is this is in the DIR forum.
Actually, that would apply to posts 7 through 10 ... but in the context of the conversation I think it's OK to leave them here as long as it's clear that these are not DIR solutions.

In fact, the posts themselves describe why they would not be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's a poor compromise to use one wing for doubles and singles unless the doubles are very tiny or the single is huge (like a bow-shot 190 or whatever it is).

Even if the wing doesn't severely "taco" it will probably add more than a bit of drag.
If you are not swimming, and not in a current that is catching the wing and trying to bowl you over, no problem.

But it's still not DIR and neither am I but for reasons other than my wings ;-)

I own a DSS "LCD 30" that I use with single HP80s and it rocks. It's nice and trim and soooo "schweet".

I own an AUL "40" that I use with a LP104 and LP120. It might be a bit large but if I try to sell it I'll not get much for it so I use the wing for those large singles.

For doubles I have an Oxycheq 65 (?) and a Halcyon Explorer 55.

onfloat:
Post 7 & 8 are not DIR answers. It's the proper tool for the job kind of thing. It may work to some degree, but it's not DIR. The only reason I bring it up is this is in the DIR forum.

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, that would apply to posts 7 through 10 ... but in the context of the conversation I think it's OK to leave them here as long as it's clear that these are not DIR solutions.

In fact, the posts themselves describe why they would not be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Of course the best & ideal solution is to secure a set of doubles to use with the Explorer 40 Wing for all phases of the Trip/Expedition. With limited luggage space and probable looming excess baggage charges (carrying an X-scooter with batteries; five sets of regulators; trans-fill whips & analyzers; stage/deco bottle hardware; DSLR camera; BP/W etc.), I barely have enough room for toiletries & choners.:D Therefore the single tank wing stays home.
Not a lame excuse in this instance, but a legitimate mitigating fact --whether it's DIR or not is moot & trivial . . .gotta prioritize and I believe I've made an informed decision in this context.

i had an issue with my single tank wing inflator, didn't have the tools to swap the inflator, so i used my 55# explorer wing on a single tank dive.

all i remember is thinking how badly and how very hard it sucked.

I bought the dive rite trek wing. Its supposed to be used for singles and doubles. I plan on diving doubles soon, but if that doesnt work out, ill just have to buy a double wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom