Need wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onfloat:
Post 7 & 8 are not DIR answers. It's the proper tool for the job kind of thing. It may work to some degree, but it's not DIR. The only reason I bring it up is this is in the DIR forum.

The correct DIR responses were summed up in the first few posts. I was attempting to show that I was recently in a similar situation, being a new DIR diver and thinking I could get by with a combination wing for a while. My post was not worded very well but basically I tried it and didn't like it. After putting together my first doubles, I had about 4 dives on them before I was shopping for a doubles specific wing. I meant to say that I will only keep the RecWing long enough to save my pennies and replace it with a dedicated singles wing.

Specifically for the RecWing, when used for doubles it has a good lift and even trim in the water. However, the inflator elbow is off-set and gets pushed forward by the left post and hoses (even after replacing the vented elbow with a plain 90 deg). Because of the wing shape/design, it also has a tendancy to lay you on your back when fully inflated on the surface.

To use it for singles, you need to re-install the bungie system that it came with (making it NOT DIR) to keep from getting the taco effect. Before I took DIR/F, I never really cared for the "bungied wing of death" explaination of why it was not a good idea. During the class, my instructor explained that a wing with a puncture may still be usable to get you to the surface as it will still hold some air. A bungied wing will force any air out of the wing rendering it useless.

I hope that helps explain some of the WHY's of getting specific doubles/singles wings.

Kevrumbo:
Of course the best & ideal solution is to secure a set of doubles to use with the Explorer 40 Wing for all phases of the Trip/Expedition. With limited luggage space and probable looming excess baggage charges (carrying an X-scooter with batteries; five sets of regulators; trans-fill whips & analyzers; stage/deco bottle hardware; DSLR camera; BP/W etc.), I barely have enough room for toiletries & choners.:D Therefore the single tank wing stays home.
Not a lame excuse in this instance, but a legitimate mitigating fact --whether it's DIR or not is moot & trivial . . .gotta prioritize and I believe I've made an informed decision in this context.
Update --with clever and creative packing technique, I've managed to squeeze in a Dive Rite Venture Single Tank Wing, and still have enough room for my choners . . .unfortunately, the camera and housing will have to stay at home (too much to carry already:huhu: )
Prelim. weigh-in of my Check-In Luggage: Dive Bag is 95lbs/43kg; X-Scooter & Travel Case at 50lbs/23kg. I'm gonna get absolutely reamed on Excess Weight/Baggage Charges for this Trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom