Need To Finish Up Your Sport Chalet Students?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Sport Chalet's policy is on finishing the certification of students that were mid-cert when the bankruptcy announcement hit, but we saw a few Sport Chalet instructors finishing their students up even after the closure was announced because the students had deadlines. Deep Blue isn't offering to hire all the now un(der)employed instructors, but we do want to help you get your students done. So if you need fills or what not, stop by. No charge on fills and we'll help in other ways if we can. Let us know!

Thank you for the offer. I'm one of those now "independent" instructors. Just FYI, Sport Chalet dropped the news on us like a bomb: all store managers were sent an email the morning of April 15 with instructions to cease all scuba operations immediately. And the company canceled our insurance. They issued full refunds of class fees to students, regardless of how far along they were, and they paid instructors (legally they had to) for the portion of the classes they had completed.

Essentially, the students were told (by the company... not by the instructors) to go elsewhere and start over; the instructors were told essentially the same. Which left all of us instructors trying to pick up the pieces.

I had a group of nine college students, with plans for a trip to Palau, almost done with their class. So I paid my own insurance, kept my teaching status, and finished their OW dives. I think many other instructors did something similar.

The scuba business will be a little different now in So Calif; many of us are looking forward to seeing the return of small scuba shops that are run by divers instead of by corporate execs.

Back
Top Bottom