Need SPG advice..Halcyon, OMS or other, and where to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I need to purchase a new SPG and I would like everyones thoughts on which one to go with. How do the Halcyon and OMS models compare?? And are there others worth considering? Also, where is the best place to order them from? Thanks!

Both Halcyon and OMS make good quality SPG's. I own an OMS and am quite happy with it, you can't go wrong with either one. As others have mentioned, OMS has the price advantage since you can get some OMS gear through leisure pro.

on how old you are. :D (And hence, your eyesight...)

The Halcyon SPG is a fine product and works great. So is the OMS. But both are the same diameter, and hence the numbers are smaller than the large Dive Rite SPG. I'm (ahem...in my prime) and recently started wearing glasses. Not only is the Dive Rite SPG circumference larger, but the numbers are more distinct and easier to read.

This may not be of any interest to those who essentially know their gas consumption and don't use the SPG often, however, its annoying to look at the thing and not be able to distinguish the numbers should you want to.

I exposed the Halcyon SPG and the Dive Rite to a dive light (in the shop), then took them into the pump room (which was dark). The luminescent back of the Dive Rite and the larger numbers made it a snap to read in the dark. The Halcyon SPG with its much smaller numbers, huge logo (which cuts down on the luminesence), and smaller face to begin with, was much more indistinct and nearly impossible for me to read. (I was wearing a mask with prescription inserts.)

Obviously, just my experience with just my eyes..., your mileage will no doubt vary.

Still, between the two there was a significant difference to me. FWIW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom