need some help/information for cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand what you mean Robin, although our situation was a bit different, as we weren't staying there. Our problems stemmed more from lack of follow-through on their part. I had been corresponding with their main person on-line to set up the dive, and was very clear that we were brand new. We chose them because he stressed back that he understood and would make sure we were taken care of. When we got there, he was over on the mainland and the person handling things tried to put us on a boat to do Devil's Throat. Told us it was easy, and not to worry. I'd read enough to know that was a stupid idea and we declined. They were somewhat rude about it. We ended up paying much more than what we were quoted so to go on another boat with another DM who really didn't seem to care about helping us enjoy the dive. After a couple of mediocre (for me) to miserable (for the DH) dives, we then ran into issues with paying them. That I chalked up to a misunderstanding, as we thought they charged our card when we gave it to them on-line. They had not, so we had to run back to the ship get more money. Ended up being a very frustrating, disappointing day. The person who was off island did respond to my e-mail follow-up with an offer of 25% off diving next time we were on the island, but with so many ops to chose from, it wasn't worth it to give them another shot and possibly have another bad experience.

Having said that, I do know many, many people (like you) love SCC, so I don't think they're a bad op, and I rarely mention what happened. I think it was one of those 'what can go wrong, did go wrong' situations with us. Luckily we moved on and did find the op that suits us perfectly. (Oh yeah ... the op that suits us perfectly? Someone complained about her in an on-line review because she served crunchy granola bars on the SI one day ... just goes to show you can't make everyone happy! LOL!)

Thanks to all who have responded, all information is good, but did seem to get sidetracked a bit. I am just looking at this point for general information on this hotel and scuba du.

Thanks to all who have responded, all information is good, but did seem to get sidetracked a bit. I am just looking at this point for general information on this hotel and scuba du.
As Mike said, what kind of information do you want? If you want general information, the hotel and the dive op have websites with plenty of that. You can also use the search function to see what people have said in past threads. When you've reviewed all that, then come back here and ask specific questions if you still have any. Sorry you feel the thread got sidetracked, but you get what you pay for.

I looked back a ways but just do not see any trip reports on the hotel or dive op. They're both well regarded, just not often mentioned in personal reports. I'm confident that once you check-in that they will accommodate your questions and needs well enough. Sorry I couldn't find much...

Now if you want to know how to book the hotel, how to get from the airport there, anything specific - we might have those answers.

I looked back a ways but just do not see any trip reports on the hotel or dive op. They're both well regarded, just not often mentioned in personal reports. I'm confident that once you check-in that they will accommodate your questions and needs well enough. Sorry I couldn't find much...
Not much, but not nothing either. Search for threads with Presidente in the title and you get a short list. I picked out a few that contain some helpful information.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/364192-trip-report-presidente-scuba-dec-13-20-2010-a.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/320434-any-perspectives-scubadu-presidente.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...h-through-11th-blue-xt-sea-el-presidente.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/182607-presidente-intercontinental-worth-not.html

Doing the same for Scuba Du might be revealing as well. Darol is a big fan and has commented on them recently, to my memory, and ScubaAntonio is an employee there and is also a regular contributor.

I've stayed at the Intercontinental Presidente a number of times. It's a very nice hotel in a nice location with great service and amenities. When we started going, prices were merely high and one could get nice deals and upgrades. The last time I checked, they'd risen to the preposterous range. I did not see any seasonal discounts.

Can't comment on Scuba Du, as I've never seen any reason to limit myself to on-site dive shops and have always gone with a smaller, more "concierge" type shop.

I think ScubaAntonio may be a recently-former employee.

FTR I have never stayed at the El Pre$$, I have done easily over a hundred plus dives with Scuba-Du. There seems to have been some changes of late, but it's not my place to comment on them.
Scuba-Du does dive a set schedule, but it's flexible to sea conditions. Having dove most of the sites,
this has never been an issue with me, I enjoy all the sites Cozumel has to offer.
I can honestly say I have never seen anyone treated differently, because of where they
stay, or being a pod person.

Last edited:
You may want to consider the new harbor construction currently underway. It's right next to the Presidente and fairly noisy. One of the nice things about the Presidente is that it is normally a very quiet and peaceful place. The construction could spoil that. I noticed quite a bit of noise when we dove Paradise Reef in February. I stayed at the Presidente once about ten years ago. I seem to recall it being a much better deal than you could get today. We enjoyed it a lot, but have not been back, primarily because of the cost. The service was very good and the restaurants were reasonably good, but expensive. I was diving with another dive op, but dove a couple of afternoons with Scuba Du. The service was good, the boats were in good shape, and they ran a safe operation. It was a very regimented operation, with set schedules for dive sites, so every Tuesday morning, they dove the same two sites. I prefer an operator that selects sites based on conditions and the abilities of the divers on the boat.
I don't think you will find another hotel on the island to equal the Presidente, but for the money you will spend, you mAy not want a major construction site next door. Other dive ops can pick you up at the Presidente. If you want the best hotel, why not go with one of the high-quality dive ops? I would recommend Aldora for great service, long dives, grouping divers of similar interests and abilities, and site selection based on the preferences of the divers and conditions. Other ops have lots of fans here and you can find a lot of information. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you will enjoy Cozumel.

Once again thanks to everyone who responded with their information. I took it all in from the recent to the past posts. Now will have to consider all the information received and decide what I will want to do. On a side note, guess what the Mrs. will vote for as she is not a diver(no interest, trust me I've tried).

I understand you're set on the Presidente, but if the Mrs. doesn't dive, she might appreciate being closer to town so she can run up her credit card shopping while you're safely on the dive boat? It's a cab ride to town versus some very nice spots that are closer in (such as the AI Cozumel Palace or the next door El Cantil condos).

Back
Top Bottom