need some help/information for cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJStateRanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thinking of going to Cozumel(1st time), and staying at the Presidenta and diving with the shop Scuba du. The time period will be June and maybe again in December. WIth that being said has anybody stayed here and used this shop before? I am also guessing that prices are very different in the two times stated? I know there are a ton of other places to stay at and most likely cheaper but I am looking for information about these two places.

Thanks in advance to all for any help that can be provided.

The Presidente is Cozumel's deluxe hotel with service -- including it's in-house dive op's service -- to match. Scuba Du is well established here, has a variety of boats to satisfy all customers and the owners & divemasters are very responsive & responsible. In early December, Scuba Du will host its annual Cozumel Photo Shoot Out (above & below the water photo outings & seminars) during Scuba Fest -- both great programs if you will be here then.

June-Aug is off-season so cheapest time to go.
Dec is the most expensive time.

As others have said, El Presidente is the deluxe hotel on the island. There are others similar but they are all-inclusives, where El Pres is not.

I have not heard anything bad about ScubaDu.

robin

i got put on a Scuba Du boat off of a cruise ship ( the one and only cruise I've done) and did not care for their attitude... Have used Dive Paradise, Papa Hogs, Aqua Safari, the old Scuba Mau......all good....Dive House from Fiesta Americana....yuk!!!!! Would probably not use Scuba Mau or Opal's Dream, their history is a little disconcerting.....

i got put on a Scuba Du boat off of a cruise ship ( the one and only cruise I've done) and did not care for their attitude... Have used Dive Paradise, Papa Hogs, Aqua Safari, the old Scuba Mau......all good....Dive House from Fiesta Americana....yuk!!!!! Would probably not use Scuba Mau or Opal's Dream, their history is a little disconcerting.....
I suspect that Scuba Du is nicer to folks staying at the Pres than they are to half day boat people. I can't imagine the Pres accepting any inferior providers.

I suspect that Scuba Du is nicer to folks staying at the Pres than they are to half day boat people. I can't imagine the Pres accepting any inferior providers.

Treating boat people as lesser (if factual) sounds like an inferior provider to me.

I suspect that Scuba Du is nicer to folks staying at the Pres than they are to half day boat people.
Exactly my thought, although it is short-sighted of them. I did my first couple trips to Coz on a cruise; and booked diving several times for our stops there. 1st op -Scuba Club Cozumel- treated us very poorly, 2nd - Scuba with Alison - treated us great. We've never been back to SCC, but because SWA treated us well, we started just flying in to stay on the island and dive. I'm guessing we've done somewhere close to 150 dives now with SWA. Multiply that for 2 people and it's a good chunk of change that we've paid our dive op. Maybe if SCC had treated us better, we'd have been staying & diving with them all this years!

Thinking of going to Cozumel(1st time), and staying at the Presidenta and diving with the shop Scuba du. The time period will be June and maybe again in December. WIth that being said has anybody stayed here and used this shop before? I am also guessing that prices are very different in the two times stated? I know there are a ton of other places to stay at and most likely cheaper but I am looking for information about these two places.

Thanks in advance to all for any help that can be provided.

What exactly do you want to know? What type of diving are you looking for, what type of hotel experience are you looking for? You can be provided with a lot of information, but you need to ask a question. If you're just looking for general info, then the Presidente is very nice, we like the rooms with the out door court yard showers. There is a connection between the type of guests that stay at a place and it's dive shop. Consider the typical guest that stays as the Presidente and you can start to get an idea how the diving will be.

Exactly my thought, although it is short-sighted of them. I did my first couple trips to Coz on a cruise; and booked diving several times for our stops there. 1st op -Scuba Club Cozumel- treated us very poorly, 2nd - Scuba with Alison - treated us great. We've never been back to SCC, but because SWA treated us well, we started just flying in to stay on the island and dive. I'm guessing we've done somewhere close to 150 dives now with SWA. Multiply that for 2 people and it's a good chunk of change that we've paid our dive op. Maybe if SCC had treated us better, we'd have been staying & diving with them all this years!

You know, our first time to SCC we felt the same way... but once we got home and thought about it, we realized that we may have contributed to the issues. First, we arrived mid-week, which at SCC is unusual. Then, we arrived a week when there were 3 large groups from Calif who had been there for over a week. Those divers pretty much monopolized the dive shop and DMs time. Nothing against them, they seemed to be regulars there, but it meant that "singles" like us were left standing waiting for help when we had a question. Also, that meant we got put on a boat for a few days, then another boat for a few. And since we were NEW to SCC system, we didn't understand about the afternoon boat sign ups, so we seemed to miss them each day (need to check for clipboards as soon as you get back from morning dives, before you go to lunch or they may fill up). We were never able to build up any rapport with the DMs, or figure out the system until the end of the week.
The next time to SCC was a WHOLE different experience. In fact, one of our best trips anywhere. We knew the system, got there on weekend so on the same cycle with most other divers, bonded with the DMs for the week, bonded with other divers who were on the boat with us all week, and had an absolute blast.

WE found the DMs to be the most professional we have met on the island (we dove previously with PapaHogs, Dive Paradise, Deep Blue). They are a bit more standoff-ish, but I think that is part of the professionalism required by the dive op. They do not hang out onsite and drink beer with the SCC patrons, don't go out partying with them all night long, or some inappropriate things we saw by other DMs at other establishments (we aren't going to point fingers, just stating facts).

So... that said, I like the SCC dive operation. It isn't the same as some others on the island. You can pick what works the best for YOU. Cozumel has alot to choose from, something for everyone.

robin

Back
Top Bottom