Need Opinion on Regulator Package Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cinquecento

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello SB! I am new here and a fairly new diver as well. I am finally making the jump to purchasing all my own equipment since I see diving as a definite passion of mine. Currently I am looking a BP/W setup but that is for another thread- this one is about Regulators.

The contenders are the DGX Deep 6 Reg Set and the DGX OR directly from Dive Rite XT Reg Set.

DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Streamlined OW Reg Package

DGX Custom - Dive Rite XT Streamlined OW Reg Package

I am looking for a regulator set that is tried and true and can be used for various types of diving (basically that I can grow into). The water I have been diving in has been warm Caribbean and mildly chilly fresh water Cenotes in Mexico. I know that both of these regulators are more then fine for OW recreational diving (as far as I've read). What I am wondering is if either of these will be better for growing into should I choose to do more technical type dives and Overhead environment/cave?

The DGX D6 package seems great obviously for the price but I don't see much about user experience. The DR package is $200 more expensive but when it comes to reliability I don't care about paying a few $ more for the ease of mind while I'm under water. BUT what I have noticed from browsing threads is that a lot of products in the SCUBA industry is all about marketing. By buying the DR am I justifying my ease of mind by paying a higher cost or is there truly a difference?

I've read that the DGX version of the Deep Six Signature is their "house brand" reg built by D6. Which Regulator would that be that it's based off of?

Also in terms of warranty- which situation would be potentially much more stress free? Buying the DGX custom package or lets say buying the DR XT from DRIS? I ask because the DGX D6 is technically their house regulator and the DR XT is not.

I know there's a million product threads- but I appreciate any help or info! Thank you all-

Cinque

Deep 6 Signature Single Tank Regulator Package

better performing than both, better warranty than both, lower total cost of ownership than both considering the first service is free at Deep6 and you can become factory certified for like $300 to certify them and then get free parts for life....

Use coupon code "wolfpack" at checkout and get like 5% off.

the DGX Deep Six is a generic regulator from ODS, very similar to the older HOG D1 and Dive Rite RG2500 regulators.
Dive Rite has parts from several manufacturers including ODS and WMD for the current XT regs. They're nice, dove them in a cave last month, but if I were buying new, it would be the Deep6 Signature hands down. Bit better performing, nicer materials to go longer between service, and the lower total cost of ownership makes it worth spending up. You will have to grab some sort of swivel from somewhere else if you want the streamline OW set, but I much prefer the ball swivel that Cave Adventurers sells to the elbows.

Thanks for the quick response tbone! Yeah i was definitely looking into the Sig series from D6 since that is their main set rather then going for the bargain option. Just read they have a 10 year warranty on their regulators- very nice!

I do like the aspect of being able to learn how to self service or to have the repair kit and potentially have a local shop help with the repair so that's definitely a plus.

Also is that discount code for the D6 site or for cave adventures? I tested it on the D6 site and comes up as invalid- I definitely wouldn't mind a 5% discount!

Thanks for the quick response tbone! Yeah i was definitely looking into the Sig series from D6 since that is their main set rather then going for the bargain option. Just read they have a 10 year warranty on their regulators- very nice!

I do like the aspect of being able to learn how to self service or to have the repair kit and potentially have a local shop help with the repair so that's definitely a plus.

Also is that discount code for the D6 site or for cave adventures? I tested it on the D6 site and comes up as invalid- I definitely wouldn't mind a 5% discount!
Nothing wrong with service it yourself. Be prepared to spend $$$ for training and tools. Do not expect a LDS to touch this if you have problems. They do not sell it and they may not service it .For the same money,or less you can get Sherwood magnum regulator ,alternate air source, gauges . All sherwood regulators have a free parts for life program and any LDS can service them.

If you have half a brain.. You can rebuild the regulators... Parts are only a few bucks... It the labor that kills you and most shops suck at rebuilding them..

Jim..

I bought 2 of the Signature sets directly from the Deep 6 website. They breathe really nicely. I also went to the live service clinic recently held in my city. I also asked an LDS if they would be willing to service it if I didn’t want to do it myself. They told me “of course, no problem”. I’m not saying your LDS will be willing, but there are options. You do require tools to do the servicing but learning and servicing and tuning the regulators is part of the journey of becoming a self sufficient diver, at least for me.

@oly5050user the training and tools is less than $500, far less than the labor spend on any regulator with free parts for life, plus if you want to DIY service, Sherwood won't let you do that. On top of that, you have to have proof of service every year or you lose it, which is at least $75 for a regulator set. That adds up real fast.

Required parts to service a Deep6 reg
Allen keys-every diver should have them
IP gauge-every diver should have them
O-ring picks-every diver should have them
O-ring lube-every diver should have that

Simple green-every adult should have that
Ultrasonic optional but cheap at Harbor Freight for like $80 and you can clean your wifes jewelry with it
Pin spanner-like $20
Course-$300 IIRC

That's it. So what big money on tools is there? $75/year on labor, vs $400 on class and tools is a 5 year ROI. That's a no brainer on something that will easily last 20 and the Deep6 regs are a lot nicer than the Sherwoods to boot

I am looking for a regulator set that is tried and true
Deep6 has been in business for maybe 3 years now. While the owner Chris has decades in rhe industry with Mares and then Hog - it;s something to consider if that's important to you. Also
before Deep6 came along, HOG was the darling of a certain segment of the SB regulars which is fine as long as you dive like they do and want to DIY maintenance, Me, I just like to film the pretty fishes...so I buy a known brand with service worldwide - currently that's Atomic but they're a little pricey - and pay for service within about a year or two of their recommendations.

I checked with my 3 go to shops on servicing their product since it;s not something I want to do.The first one - no problem - but they're my area Deep6 distributor also. Another shop tech said they would as long as I provided the parts kit - included in the purchase. My 3rd shop - and the tech with the best area reputation - said their insurance would NOT allow it.

ymmv - also do ypu have a Dive-Rite dealer nearby if needed? I only have two in the 6th largest metro city in the US. I'm not sure I've ever seen Dive-Rite gear anywhere I've traveled in the Caribbean and I have a quirk in that I check what shops I use rent even though I bring my own also.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with service it yourself. Be prepared to spend $$$ for training and tools. Do not expect a LDS to touch this if you have problems. They do not sell it and they may not service it .For the same money,or less you can get Sherwood magnum regulator ,alternate air source, gauges . All sherwood regulators have a free parts for life program and any LDS can service them.

You state "Do not expect a LDS to touch this if you have problems. They do not sell it and they may not service it." while referring to Deep Six regs, but then claim "All sherwood regulators have a free parts for life program and any LDS can service them." When it comes to Sherwood? Anyone else see a problem with only5050user's post or is it just me?:confused:

@diversteve I really really don't like the "service worldwide" crap that is often talked about. You are going to be lucky if they have the parts in stock, and with most regs requiring a 2 week turnaround, is it really that big of a benefit? What happens if yours kicks it on a liveaboard? In either circumstance you're missing at least the next full day of diving waiting on your reg to get back and paying a massive premium to get it done overnight all while getting done by a tech that you have no background info on.
That's about the last thing I would ever do. If you're that concerned, carry a spare first stage since that's likely what is going to fail, or just use a rental reg.

That said, most LDS's, even if authorized dealers, don't have full time service tech's on staff and many send regulators off to another entity to get them serviced. If they're going to do that, just learn to tweak them yourself and send them off somewhere for service

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom