Need immediate weather relief for deep dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heavy seas (5 to 7 is the forecast) and drifting deco are not a good mix. Sometimes its just better to call it a day and go to the bar.
I will be happy to call it a day. Unfortunately, it looks like we will be calling it a week, a week with paid plane flights and lodging.

That sounded good to me, so I gave them a call. They don't allow scuba diving any more.

That's a shame. Leave it to the government to regulate access to our natural environment. SMH

Surely there has to be a sinkhole or spring somewhere in South Florida with those depths.

...Surely there has to be a sinkhole or spring somewhere in South Florida with those depths.

There's Eagle's nest at 300 deep, but it's not really a training site like Hudson Grotto is at 200 deep.

There's Eagle's nest at 300 deep, but it's not really a training site like Hudson Grotto is at 200 deep.
I did some of my trimix instructor internship dives in Eagle's Nest. It's a good site. To use it, though, the trimix instructor has to be a cave instructor as well, and the trimix students have to be cave certified. Neither is true in this case.

Gulf side: The Black Hole. Naples. Scuba Marco.
scubamarco.com
239-389-7889
I though of that also - but the winds look bad on that side also. It's 224' John.
Black Hole

....and the trimix students have to be cave certified. Neither is true in this case.

I don't think Hudson Grotto (aka Scuba West) requires cave certs for dives there. Many shops do tri-mix checkouts there. The only question is if it's deep enough for your requirements. Hope you find something, cause that's a lot of vacation money to duplicate again.

Hudson Grotto is only 140' at its deepest if you find the hole & 5ft of silt, 5'viz on it best day.

27 miles offshore...that's a long haul in sporty conditions
Plus the 2 hr. drive across the Glades...

Maybe the Bahamas?

I believe the Lost Blue Hole is almost exactly 200' if that's enough. Off Nassau so maybe you could put together an afternoon charter with Bahama Divers or Stuart Cove's for later this week. 1/2 hr. flight also. Or off the south wall - the Tongue of the Ocean drops to 3600' near there.

A no-fly option would be to take the ferry from FLL to Grand Bahama. I think a different part of the TOTO gets pretty close there also. Fred RIger at Grand Bahama Scuba would probably know the closest place to get the depth you need.

Getting anything bigger than an AL-80 or Gases on either island might be a problem though.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom