Need help..Tank for my son?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@wKkaY he is 4'9 do you think an 80 is too big for him?
Sorry I was replying to the OP. If I were your son's stature I think the ideal tank would be the XS Scuba HP65 as it is much shorter and lighter than the 80.

al80 is far too big for him at 5'9" and even with the poster above at 5'5" it is far too long of a tank.

Ideal tank height is taken this way

Sit on a table, bench, counter top, something flat. Have someone measure the height from the table straight up to the base of your neck.
Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan
cross reference that number with all of the tanks on this chart. You can go up about an inch or down by about 2" max. The measured number is your ideal tank height for you to be able to safely manipulate the valve, not turtle over backwards when sitting, and be able to sit comfortably when you are rigged up. You can obviously dive whatever you want, but this is your ideal tank height for optimal comfort and safety.

it is not a vendetta against you finding out, it is more pushing you to make sure you are actually making the right decision since unfortunately most dive shop employees are woefully inadequate when it comes to what is actually the "best" configuration for the diver because you don't know what you don't know.

i see where you are coming from @tbone1004 -- but i did take your advice and stop in at the LDS and he measured and ended with the recommendation the 63 for him. the one good thing about tony ( the dive shop owner is that i trust him with my life -- i got very lucky to find him. he is extremely knowledgeable and has logged over 12k in dives over the years. so im pretty confident is his word

80cf High Pressure Steel

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents!

the K

@The Kraken i agree with steel -- but the price for a 10 yr old is something im willing to pay. i have no use for a steel tank. i like AL.

but i do appreciate the suggestion :D

My son and daughter 11 and 10 are certified and they have an AL 63 which does them fine, they have both also dove al80 and hp80 off of boats no problem just added a trim weight on the Al to the bottom to help with the floaty issue. I also have a pair of 1800 psi 67's that I am going to try them on. You have plenty of options the hardest thing on the taller tanks is getting their BP on but they manage with help from their buddy.

IMG_0440 (1).jpg

Just posted this pic to VDH. Then thought to post it to this thread. This is a pic of one of my 13-year-old twins earlier today as we were about to have our rented Al 63 refilled. Yesterday my three girls had their first session (backyard pool) with my double hose regulator. As can be seen, the Al 63 seems to fit her perfectly!

BTW, she is wearing a VDH-modified US Divers DA Aquamaster double hose regulator (vintage c. 1960), a VDH double hose regulator Al backplate, and a single-piece nylon harness with a crotch strap. (No BC.)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Last edited:
For the kids on our island and even some of the smaller ladies we use AL50s. When the kids get older we switch to AL63s. We have so many kids diving now we had to double our AL50s and also buy some for Nitrox.

View attachment 378600

Just posted this pic to VDH. Then thought to post it to this thread. This is a pic of one of my 13-year-old twins earlier today as we were about to have our rented Al 63 refilled. Yesterday my three girls had their first session (backyard pool) with my double hose regulator. As can be seen, the Al 63 seems to fit her perfectly!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver
Love seeing young people taking up diving. :)

Back
Top Bottom