Nitrox and/or large tank required for Socorro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading out to Socorro, I am wondering based on the dive profile and the underwater condition, would I need nitrox and maybe even large tank.

I am less concerned about NDL on repetitive dives if it is only 3 dives a day, and if we just hang out in the blue, I can hang 10 ft higher. But if there are lots of dives that have square profiles at 90 ft, then nitrox seems to be a must.

Also, if the dives are long and deep, or always fighting the current where my SAC might shoot up and I might have to opt for a large tank. I do have a camera setup and assume my SAC would be affected by it. Is there alot of chasing pelagic? From the few videos I saw, there seem to be alot of chasing and harassing of mantas. If they come by, I would take my pictures calmly, but if they are constantly chased away by other photographers, then I would have to join them, otherwise I would get no shots.

Profiles run pretty deep so nitrox is a plus. There's generally a lot of interaction with the wildlife, so you don't want to be hanging high, nursing an air tank especially if the rest of your group is on nitrox. Are you generally gas or NDL limited (on an AL80)? If the latter, I wouldn't worry about big tanks. Again, you want to match up with your group. If you're more comfortable with the extra gas, then by all means, but IMHO it's not necessary (unless you're generally gas limited). There is some current from time to time, but if your DM is good you're rarely fighting it. You're diving from a panga/zodiac that follows and picks up the group. Boats have different rules. On ours you could shoot a bag and surface at anytime. The panga was right there to pick you up.

The wildlife comes to you. You don't chase the wildlife. It's part of what makes the destination so attractive. The mantas circle around seemingly seeking out divers. The dolphins will come to you and try to take you deep (pay attention :)). You'll get plenty of up close opportunities by positioning yourself appropriately and letting all the big stuff come to you.

Have your solution for motion sickness worked out, if it's a problem for you. It's a deep water crossing...sometimes it's relatively smooth...sometimes not so much...it's 29 hours either way...have fun. It's an amazing trip. All IMHO, YMMV.

On deep square profile dives such as on wrecks, I am generally NDL limited. I probably become gas limited if we are in the 60-80 ft range and alot of action is going on where I forget about having to maintain slow deep breaths. I usually linger around to be the last of the group to go up, even if the dives go beyond 70min, but my air goes pretty low (nobody's checking, my buddy's always there with >700 psi more air than me, telling me everybody is up and waiting).

I generally just take meclizine if I feel the need for it. I don't remember getting sick when things get rough (the boat slamming onto waves), maybe only when the boat is stationary in a wavy motion and I got distracted doing things.

Sometimes I take the big tank if its available (never charging extra), other times its taken by others and I live with the AL80. But this time, they are charging extra, seems weird. Maybe I can switch to large tank if after the few dives and have aclimated to the condition, I realize I am air limited.

I'll second what AdivingBel said, it has been one of my best trips yet with amazing interactions with the Mantas where they come to you and love following you for you bubbles, not to mention having a trifecta of Mantas, Dolphins and Whale sharks on one dive.

We did Nitrox from memory as an option for what you'll want to do to get the most of the experiences.
The boat will typically dictate to you the dive times and profiles as they are so far away from medical help.

Our journey to the islands wasn't that rough but it is long

To give you an example of dive profiles, here are mine when I was there in 2018
1710487645576.png

All of these were with a medium-to-large camera setup in tow and AL80 tanks.

We were delayed a couple of day heading out due to storms at the islands and to avoid rough seas, hence there is some diving there in Cabo

Heading out to Socorro, I am wondering based on the dive profile and the underwater condition, would I need nitrox and maybe even large tank.

I am less concerned about NDL on repetitive dives if it is only 3 dives a day, and if we just hang out in the blue, I can hang 10 ft higher. But if there are lots of dives that have square profiles at 90 ft, then nitrox seems to be a must.

Also, if the dives are long and deep, or always fighting the current where my SAC might shoot up and I might have to opt for a large tank. I do have a camera setup and assume my SAC would be affected by it. Is there alot of chasing pelagic? From the few videos I saw, there seem to be alot of chasing and harassing of mantas. If they come by, I would take my pictures calmly, but if they are constantly chased away by other photographers, then I would have to join them, otherwise I would get no shots.
We will be there in 2 weeks! Love to hear your feedback and water temps so close to our trip.
What boat are you on?
Have fun!!

I'll second what AdivingBel said, it has been one of my best trips yet with amazing interactions with the Mantas where they come to you and love following you for you bubbles, not to mention having a trifecta of Mantas, Dolphins and Whale sharks on one dive.

We did Nitrox from memory as an option for what you'll want to do to get the most of the experiences.
The boat will typically dictate to you the dive times and profiles as they are so far away from medical help.

Our journey to the islands wasn't that rough but it is long

To give you an example of dive profiles, here are mine when I was there in 2018
View attachment 831801
All of these were with a medium-to-large camera setup in tow and AL80 tanks.

We were delayed a couple of day heading out due to storms at the islands and to avoid rough seas, hence there is some diving there in Cabo
Looks like the dives varied form 30 to close to an hour. Are the short ones NDL limited due to all the actions taking place in the deep?

We will be there in 2 weeks! Love to hear your feedback and water temps so close to our trip.
What boat are you on?
Have fun!!
I am on the Cantamar's Southern Sport in beginning of Apr. Bought into the solar eclipse thing, but turns out it is likely to be overcast with high clouds in that area.

Hi @DazedAndConfuzed

I went to the Revillagigedos on the Nautilus Explorer at the end of May, 2019

We did 19 dives in 5 days, 4 each day except for the day we checked in with the Navy off Socorro. I dived 32% nitrox and, personally, would not do otherwise. Though we did not push it, I got down to about 9 min of NDL twice using my liberal algorithms, GF high 95/DSAT. Repetitive dives on air may be tight.

I dived an AL80, cylinders were well filled, an average of 3100 psi (3024-3258). I have a long term average RMV of 0.36 cu ft/min, my lowest end pressure was 700 psi and averaged a little less than 1000 psi. My average RMV on this trip, 0.39 cu ft/min, was a little above my usual average, reflecting some of the diving against current and/or surge.

You can use the avg depths and dive times from my dives, along with your RMV, to estimate your gas use and decide whether an AL80 is adequate or whether you might want a larger cylinder. I would probably opt for the larger cylinder if my RMV was higher than the mid 0.4s

1710530376027.png

Have a great trip. I will be back again this June.

Looks like the dives varied form 30 to close to an hour. Are the short ones NDL limited due to all the actions taking place in the deep?
Would most likely be related to NDL with a varying time at depth

Some would also be related to playing with the mantas where they like your bubbles, so you tend to exhale more air for them.

I thought photographers would all be acting like these guys, chasing after everything, and using up all their air in the process:

I'd be guessing in that video that for that dive spot the dolphin might have been the only this that turned up and everyone descended on it.

A lot also reflects on the boat and dive guides to encourage divers not to chase and keep distance, especially in Socorro as there is no need to chase, they'll come to you as they are inquisitive.

We had a little bit of that, specifically with one diver that would chase the mantas to get the shot. He was in so many of my photos and videos, and probably everyone else's, as he kept swimming into frame.

He was Italian and had a bit of arrogance to him, his girlfriend got suspected mild DCS as she tried to keep up with him and then spent time on oxygen and he just kept diving leaving the boat staff to look after her while he kept diving!

There is alway going to be at least one of those type of people on every trip no matter where you go, they have to get that shot no matter how much it ruins everyone else's experience.

Back
Top Bottom