Need help in buying a new or used XIOS Eyesea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NajilHunter

Registered
Reaction score
I want to buy an XIOS Eyesea unit. I looked on Ebay and most of the on-line dive shops,but no luck. Can anybody help here?

Thanks
Majed

That's not being made anymore, by a company that's not around anymore, and can't be serviced anymore .......

Maybe if it's cheap enough to be disposable, I could see it. They were kinda neat.

Darlene

You make a good point. My issue is that I have 2 reciever units and no transmitter. I lost the transmitter last weekend while diving. If I don't find a transmitter I will throw away 2 good recievers worth $1,200.

but right now I'm not sure I want to sell it.

Its in perfect condition and works great. That's why I am not sure I want to sell it :)

There are times that thing is worth its weight in gold. I'm well-aware that if I flood or damage it I'm screwed, but that just makes me more careful...

I'll keep your request in the back of my mind if I change my mind.

It really is an amazing device - it sucks that the people who made it got in financial trouble.

NajilHunter once bubbled...
You make a good point. My issue is that I have 2 reciever units and no transmitter. I lost the transmitter last weekend while diving. If I don't find a transmitter I will throw away 2 good recievers worth $1,200.

I can get you a Transmitter for your receivers. I have sent 2 mails with no reply. Does anyone know how to contact NajiHunter other than these posts-I'm new at this.

Sold it on eBAY.

I set the reserve where I wouldn't cry if it hit, and it did - in spades.

They really are cool devices. Its too bad the company couldn't make a go of it....

Just be aware that a lot of receivers are apparently around that have been damaged or had production problems, and fail to work correctly, being wildly inaccurate or having radically bad range (like 50'!) Mine worked fabulously, with its range exceeding my willingness to test it (over 1500' and probably well beyond) but I've been corresponding with a few people who have been trying to buy a properly-working pair without success, and have sent SEVERAL sets back to sellers.

Genesis once bubbled...
Sold it on eBAY.

I set the reserve where I wouldn't cry if it hit, and it did - in spades.

They really are cool devices. Its too bad the company couldn't make a go of it....

Just be aware that a lot of receivers are apparently around that have been damaged or had production problems, and fail to work correctly, being wildly inaccurate or having radically bad range (like 50'!) Mine worked fabulously, with its range exceeding my willingness to test it (over 1500' and probably well beyond) but I've been corresponding with a few people who have been trying to buy a properly-working pair without success, and have sent SEVERAL sets back to sellers.

I have tried 8 of these units and 1 worked properly. The 1 that worked correctly the guy would not sell. When they work right they are great

quarter-mile surface swims several times in 10' or less vis conditions.

Their big value is on large reefs where you can't find an "edge" to follow or other natural navigational assistance. On wrecks they are also useful if you decide to go off chasing a fish for dinner well beyond visual range - and often, when doing that, you magically find something that isn't published (the fish is going SOMEWHERE!)

I liked mine, but figured that I'd take the money instead; it bought me some other stuff I wanted for diving :)

I purchase a new EyeSea from a Canadian distributer in September. They no longer carry the product; however, several dive suppliers in Australia and New Zeland appear to carry the sonar unit.

I used Google.com for my search. Type in "eyesea, australia" to limit your hits. One result was the following: http://www.scubaaustralia.com.au/scuba.gen/wsbrand/1/22

Before locating the Canadian supplier, I contacted one of the Australian shops and did receive a positive reply. Hope this helps.

As far as results of the unit, I will use it for the first time 20-27 Dec on the Cayman Aggressor.

Just returned from the Cayman Islands (Cayman Aggressor 20-27 Dec 03).

XIOS EyeSea performed as promised. Minor deviation with distance when initializing the two units (transponder and receiver) prior to each dive in a tub of water vs in the ocean. Tub deviation was probably caused from signal reflection, never more than 22 feet. Ocean deviation was normally 6 feet, often zero.

My navigation skills are OK, but didn't want to take the chance of having my junior divers (daughter 11, son 10) deal with surface swims. Got us back to the boat every time.

Australian distributers are still offering the units. I'm sending links to other members of the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom