Need buddy for Boynton Beach dive with UE on 03/18 (PM dive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karannarang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As title states, I need a buddy for Boynton Beach dive with UE on 03/18 (PM dive). Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 12:26 AM ----------

Anybody?

Check out the thread where the Capt. lost all the divers. Still gives me the chills.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/409816-sky-cliff-2-2-a.html

Tekkydiver: do you think it is fair to compare a complicated tech dive to a simple recreational ow dive in which divers will be towing flags? I guess I'm thinking that is not so fair a comparison. I read most of the Sky Cliff thread and it seems that the boat operator and divers both made mistakes. Both admitted to such and decided to change the way they'd conduct dives at that particularly challenging site in the future. Diving the reefs off of Boynton seems much simpler.

I've been out with UE a few times on recreational dives and had very good experiences.

To the OP, If I weren't traveling for work that day, I'd give the dive trip a try, but I'll be out of town. I need a mid-week day off to dive!!!

You should provide more details. I'm not familiar with UE as it's a bit further south than I go for boat dives. What time is departure, what is the cost, 1 tank or 2 tank?

You should provide more details. I'm not familiar with UE as it's a bit further south than I go for boat dives. What time is departure, what is the cost, 1 tank or 2 tank?

I think you'd like it Mr Chen. It would be worth your significant drive. Departs 1 pm. 2 tank dive is $65, that's it except for a tip if you have your own tanks. Air tanks are $10 each, nitrox tanks are $15 each. Just trying to help the OP arrange a great dive.

Tekkydiver: do you think it is fair to compare a complicated tech dive to a simple recreational ow dive in which divers will be towing flags? I guess I'm thinking that is not so fair a comparison. I read most of the Sky Cliff thread and it seems that the boat operator and divers both made mistakes. Both admitted to such and decided to change the way they'd conduct dives at that particularly challenging site in the future. Diving the reefs off of Boynton seems much simpler.

I've been out with UE a few times on recreational dives and had very good experiences.

To the OP, If I weren't traveling for work that day, I'd give the dive trip a try, but I'll be out of town. I need a mid-week day off to dive!!!

You ask a fair question. Yes, one can make a comparison that is more than fair.

As far as the Skye Cliffe dive, there is nothing difficult nor technical from the Captains perspective. He merely needed to sit on top of the wreck then stay in contact with the smb when deployed. For the life of me, I can't understand how he ended up so far away.

Let us say on this upcoming dive, he drops divers on the second reef, or the Capt. Tony or the Bud Bar... under normal conditions; north current, and se wind. Lets say the flag gets away from the divers early in the dive. They decide to continue with the dive..... it happens. So now the capt is following the flag...north and west. It won't be too long before he realizes the flag is a run-a-way...... Are the divers still on the wreck? Did they swim in to the reef? Whichever, I am not confident in the capt's ability find the divers.

I don't know what the dive op has done to correct problems, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Oh man, 2 things, either you have very little, or no idea what it takes to run these trips, or you have hidden motives to trash this operator.

As far as the Skye Cliffe dive, there is nothing difficult nor technical from the Captains perspective. He merely needed to sit on top of the wreck then stay in contact with the smb when deployed. For the life of me, I can't understand how he ended up so far away.

Let us say on this upcoming dive, he drops divers on the second reef, or the Capt. Tony or the Bud Bar... under normal conditions; north current, and se wind. Lets say the flag gets away from the divers early in the dive. They decide to continue with the dive..... it happens. So now the capt is following the flag...north and west. It won't be too long before he realizes the flag is a run-a-way...... Are the divers still on the wreck? Did they swim in to the reef? Whichever, I am not confident in the capt's ability find the divers.

I don't know what the dive op has done to correct problems, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Oh man, 2 things, either you have very little, or no idea what it takes to run these trips, or you have hidden motives to trash this operator.

No axe to grind here. I Don't know the op, never met him. And contrary to what you write, I do know what it takes to run a trip, both technical and recreational. These are just my thoughts on a safety issue. When I surface, I expect the captain not rely on my contacting him via VHF radio to provide my posit. When I am running the boat, my divers know I'll be close by. I think it is a good thing to know the safety record of a vessel should I choose to put my life in their hands.

I would welcome your defense of the Dive Op regarding the Skye Cliffe dive.

I disagree that it's a fair comparison, in recreational trips, if a wreck, the boat will be tied in to the wreck with descent/ascent line, divers go down hand by hand, come up hand by hand. On the reefs, EVERY single group is required to carry a flag, the boat knows where they are ALWAYS. If you have ever done any tec trips here in SFL, you'd know that there is always, and happens often, the possibility of divers never even making it to the wreck on a hot drop to begin with, so the captain have no way of knowing this information until the scheduled bag is due to be in the surface, 30 minutes later, specially with the conditions of that day, 3' seas.

As far as the Skye Cliffe dive, there is nothing difficult nor technical from the Captains perspective. He merely needed to sit on top of the wreck then stay in contact with the smb when deployed.
Wrong again, we know from experience that divers doesn't always follows the agreed plan, the thread you cited yourself is proof to that. In a perfect world, the captain can just expect the bag to hit the surface near the wreck, but when it doesn't, the captain can't just simply pull out his crystal ball and see where the divers are, this was stablished in the beginning of that thread, and it is pretty common sense within ourselves here in SFL too, SHOOT THE BAG FROM THE WRECK, if you don't, specially with strong currents, you are now someplace where the captain did not expected you to be, SPECIALLY with you did NOT shoot the bag at the agreed time.
Did those divers not screwed up with the time schedule of shooting the bag?

For the life of me, I can't understand how he ended up so far away.
Apparently there's a lot of things here you're not understanding.
But, just think of this for a moment, bag is supposed to hit the surface at 30min mark, when it doesn't, what's next? You have to realize that the captain have no way of knowing of is happening underwater and can only hope that the divers are doing their part according to the plan, which was NOT the case here.
Let's fallow your own line of thought of "level of difficulty from the captains perspective", say you drop rebreather divers in a similar high current dive, divers never make it to the wreck and decide that they'll just do a 20 min dive drifting on the bottom, by the time they'll decide to shoot a bag, they will be nowhere to be seen, meanwhile the captain is hovering over the wreck waiting for the bag to pop up, it is going to be a while until those divers are found, is it the captain's fault?
And if you haven't seen a scenario like this here, you haven't done more than 2 dives here.

Again, how can you be so unfair, this would be a MAJOR SCREW UP from the part of the DIVERS, not the captain. You aren't supposed to be playing hide-and-seek with the boat, there's a reason you're carrying a flat, so your position is known.
If you have ever done any dives from a charter boat here in SFL, I can guarantee you have heard from the briefing, "the diver with the flag is never lost", so stay with the flag.
A few years back, a diver got separated from his group on a drift reef dive, and decided to continue alone, he swam in the wrong direction, got lost and by the time he decided to surface he was far away from the path of the reef, he wasn't noticed missing until his group/everyone was back onboard, up and down we go, search patterns, everyone looking, coast guard is called, BSO and the tow boats are also looking, it turns out, the big brain guy decided to ditch his gear and swim to shore, continuously getting further away (west) from where we would expect to find him, he was found close to shore by one of the tow boats. Got an earful from coast guard/BSO.

The operator has responded to the very thread you cited yourself, did you read it?
Here's just one thing he said...
Also, if anyone has thoughts on what else might have been done to avoid this situation, or ones like it in the future, I am open to suggestions.

​I find it hard to believe you don't have a hidden motive here.

I think you'd like it Mr Chen. It would be worth your significant drive. Departs 1 pm. 2 tank dive is $65, that's it except for a tip if you have your own tanks. Air tanks are $10 each, nitrox tanks are $15 each. Just trying to help the OP arrange a great dive.

I'll have to get down that way some day, with so many good dive ops in Jupiter and WPB, it's hard to justify driving further south. I was trying to help him out too by getting more info in the thread. I wasn't sure what time PM was. If it was like 7pm or later, I'd be able to get there. But if it were a night dive, I wouldn't want that to be the first dive together, if you know what I mean.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2014 at 08:23 AM ----------

Why hijack the thread when all the guy is asking for is a dive buddy? Start a new thread and post the link here?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom