Need advice on cheap first drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My gf and I get cold, so decided to try drysuits. California 55-60 F water. Mostly shore dives via sand or rocky entry. Figured we get some nice cheap ones and decide if we need to buy custom or modify existing after diving them for a while. I got myself a used dui tls350 ($400) but we had a hard time finding a similar for her.

Anyways just stumbled on a used bare (https://www.baresports.com/en-us/dive/products/womens-drysuits/trilaminate/trilam-tech-dry/womens/). For $300. 4 years old and 150 dives. I don't like that they are boots instead of socks and that the seals arent quick change. Also has a bulkhead for heating vest.

We were also looking at the dui outlet for a tls but it's a steep $1300. I'm sure well have to add a pee valve for her sooner or later. But financially right now that's a big stretch.

Saw posts on seaskin, would consider a custom made trilam from them if highly recommended from other divers that have them. But I don't like that they arent local so shipping back to the UK if we have issues is a big con.

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

What size? I've seen a variety of used ones on ebay for cheap recently, but with the big caveat that you have to replace seals etc. northeast scuba supply has some smaller ones in their used section on their website right now.

eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or Nextdoor are places to check. I would suggest you get a dry suit certification because if you want to rent and try out a dry suit, some if not most LDS require that card, for liability reasons.

I own a Whites Fusion Bullet, they can be gotten for a reasonable price - warm, flexible, pretty rugged, with socks. I see them on eBay. Some of the new Fusions come with replaceable SiTech wrist and neck seals. DUI zipseals are pricey, I know, because I have a DUI, too.

Ended up with a used bare trilaminate [$315] for her off FB. Seems like it would fit best, except the boots may be too small. In that case I'd replace it with socks.

Thanks for the reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom