Need advice on Aqualung AI transmitter problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Croison

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I see a lot of good and useful advices on this forum, so I wonder if anyone could share some experience with the Aqualung AI.

I've been using Aqualung AI transmitter with Shearwater Teric for almost 3 years now. Combination worked flawlessly all that time, I made 250+ dives, technical and recreational. Sometimes during the dive there might be temporary loss of signal, due to increase of distance between Teric and transmitter, but it always reconnects shortly after and continue to receive. I use Teric on my left wrist and transmitter on the right side of back tanks on short HP hose, so it is always close to a distance limit (1 m). Transmitter battery last cca. 100-150 dives, and I never take special care to preserve the battery by releasing the pressure when outside water.

But recently Teric can receive signal only if put immediately next to transmitter, literally touching it. If moved only 5 cm away from the transmitter it wont receive - if put back next to it it will resume reading. Its like signal from the transmitter becomes weaker. This happens out of a sudden, without any particular reason. One day everything was OK, and next morning it wasn't. There was no firmware upgrade or battery replacement in between. So transmitter still works, it isn't dead and make good pressure readings, but signal can be received only on very short distance. I replaced battery and made Teric firmware upgrade (v.21) but it didn't improve. I contacted Aqualung customer service but there was no reply.

Is anyone have similar experience? I wonder if transmitter electronics could wear down in time causing signal to become weaker? Could it be fixed or it is just time to scrap it?

Regards, Mirko

Do you know anyone with the same transmitter? First test if you do is the program the other transmitter to the Teric and see if it work.

Hi @Croison

I don't think you have a transmitter problem. I believe the antenna in your Teric has failed. You could prove this definitively by showing your transmitter will connect to another AI computer using a PPS transmitter and that a working transmitter will not connect to your Teric. The latter is probably sufficient.

I have had 2 failed antennas, one replaced, one repaired (new circuit board and antenna) Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

You should contact your service center, I assume it is the one in the UK

Good luck Mirko. I have received superlative service from Shearwater and have had my share of problems, 2 repairs and 2 replacements

You were spot on right, scubadada!

I went for a diving trip this weekend and connected transmitter to my buddy's Perdix AI and it worked OK, it recieved signal from over 1 m and never lost communication.

So transmitter is not the main culprit here as I thought, but the Teric as you suggested.

I had experience with shearwater UK service team before (pressure sensor and battery replaced) and have only positive words for their service (albeit somewhat slow...).

Thanks to all, cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom