Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hit your regulator purge while looking at your spg before entry. Then you will know your air is on. If you do your entry and air is off, there should be a dive buddy nearby to turn you on. Otr to turn your air on.
DivemasterDennis

I'm a big fan ob buddy cords, but don't secure them to gear- hold or slip over wrist. Also, 6' is plenty long enough.
DivemasterDennis

That sounds like a good idea for low vis conditions where the buddies have to stay close anyway. Perhaps a small reel the could be extended once under water with a lanyard at the end and locked at say 10 feet or so.

Adam

If you stick your hand in a hole and a Moray eel bites down on it, try to resist the urge to jerk your hand out. Wait until the Moray opens his mouth to get a better grip.

(Please note: This advice falls into the category of "Easier said than done!")

If you find yourself with an eel attached to the end of your hand, I'd say your best bet would be to immediately engage the eel in Mortal Kombat. When that eel loosen its main jaws its already got a better grip. Since eels have long narrow mouths, they can't create suction like most other fish do to pull their prey in to their mouth. Eels actually have a second set of jaws with teeth inside their mouth that can be controlled. This second jaw comes forward, bites down, the main jaw lets go and the second set pulls their prey further in to their mouth.

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread!

Being a VERY new diver, I've seen tons of neat tricks here that weren't covered in our OW class. One recurrent tip about using baby shampoo as an anti-fog agent made me wonder though. Is this used full strength or in a specific dilution (5%? 10%?....??)

While we're on the subject of neat little tricks.

1- Cough up a good mucousy blob of flem, the more sound effects the better, and rub it around the inside of your mask and (when boat diving), leave it there until you jump in. Then rinse your mask once you're in the water. Waiting until after you're in the water almost eliminates the possibility of losing it over the side and most divers won't appreciate it if you rinse your muscous filled mask in the rinse bucket. If you have the proper blend of sputum it will work better than anything on the market and you've always got a supply "on hand". Once you've got the attention of everyone on board and a mask full of goopy phlegm, be a good diver and offer some to everyone else on the boat. You will find that some divers are reluctant to take advantage of your offer so take the initiative and spit in their masks anyway. They'll show you how appreciative they are.

Uugh. Am sticking to toothpaste.

On that matter, chewing a bit of toothpaste just before entry makes the air you suck in quite minty =)

One recurrent tip about using baby shampoo as an anti-fog agent made me wonder though. Is this used full strength or in a specific dilution (5%? 10%?....??)

I use just a drop of full strength. I apply it first thing when I get my mask out of the gear bag so it can sit in the mask until I enter the water.

Problem is email is not secure, so I'd not be comfortable emailing such info. If someone has your credit card numbers with security codes they can wreak havoc with your accounts.

I keep all my private info in a secure Password Keeper App on my iPhone. Works great! Always have my family's private info, including all ss#s, etc. on hand. Most of these apps can even be synced on the internet, so even if you lose your phone, you can still access the info.

As a dive guide,O-rings on yoke style tank valves should be checked & replaced before installing the first stage. Small amonnt of silcon grease or even split will help with the airtight seal. Being old & hard of hearing,I use a small stray bottle with diluted dish soap,spray the suspected area & watch for bubbles to appear. Also works on all other types of connections. Also I purchased a 'XS multi dive tool' which is especially designed for scuba dive repairs. I spend a lot of time fixing equipment on the boat & this small multi-tool is a gem. I have a small camera with a housing that fogs all the time until a client suggested I force the ultra-dry gas from a dive tank valve into the casing then quicky closing it. I have not purchased a silica pack since. Of course keeping your camera wrapped in a dry towel out of the sun helps too. Now the fun tip: On shark dives take a small plastic water bottle with you (dive guide only) & twist it back & forth making a cracking sound....the sharks love it long enough to provide some good photo ops. I call it sound chumming! I have read 38 pages of this great learning thread...THANKS for the experience SB posters & all you fantastic scuba divers!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom