Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always place your tanks in your vehicle with the valves facing in such a direction that if your car is hit and a valve is broken the tank doesn't go through WHERE YOU ARE SITTING. I place mine in my trunk with the valves pointing forward so the tank is launched out the back of the car not into it.
If the tank explodes, why do you assume the valve would remain stationary? Since the valve weighs less, wouldn't it be launched in the opposite direction from the tank at a much greater velocity, right into your back? I place my tanks horizontally, so they can hit the cars on both sides of me instead.

If the tank explodes, why do you assume the valve would remain stationary? Since the valve weighs less, wouldn't it be launched in the opposite direction from the tank at a much greater velocity, right into your back? I place my tanks horizontally, so they can hit the cars on both sides of me instead.

I've seen the aftermath. You got the idea except the people on the side of you probably wasn't jerk the that rearended you. If I had the choice I'll take a hit with the valve rather than the tank. If the valve gets broken there isn't some much an explosion as more of a rocket type launch. Quite the missle really. Capable of going through a few things before it stops. A guy had a 72 2250psi in his cellar horizontal on a work bench trying to get his tank boot off (yeah I know) the tank slipped hit the floor broke the valve. The tank went thru 3 floors, the roof came down thru the roof of a parked car out the floor and broke the pavement.

just read all 40 pages, great tips. I know it was mentioned briefly , but I wanted to stress the fin strap comment. One of the best pieces of gear that I have bought. I see a lot of people, " experienced " or not, struggling with their fins. Fin straps are great.

One more trick: resume drum roll:

1. I put my soft weights in FoodSaver vacuum bags. I use the 8 inch roll to make the bags. Every once in a while one will leak, so I dry the weight thoroughly and redo the vacuum bag. I use the manual mode on the FoodSaver and not get too strong a vacuum, or the weight turns hard.

This way I don't have to worry about lead leaching all over my gear in the rinse tank.

Adam

If anyone is using the FoodSaver bags, my current method is double bag the weights. In other words I make one package, and put this into another bag and vacuum that. The double bagging is much more durable, and even if one should leak the inner bag keeps the weight dry.

I read a lot but not all, so if this one was already mentioned... well it's a good enough tip for two mentions :D

Use a small plastic bag around your foot to more easily don a wet wetsuit (or a dry wetsuit, for that matter). It really makes a huge difference.

For charter boat dives I always use a weight belt instead of integrated weights and carry a small reel. If you are left behind you can attach the reel to the belt and drop the belt so it will anchored you in the first place they will be looking for you.

For charter boat dives I always use a weight belt instead of integrated weights and carry a small reel. If you are left behind you can attach the reel to the belt and drop the belt so it will anchored you in the first place they will be looking for you.

I get the idea, and understand why you use the reel, but don't understand why you can't do the same with integrated weights. :idk:

I read a lot but not all, so if this one was already mentioned... well it's a good enough tip for two mentions :D

Use a small plastic bag around your foot to more easily don a wet wetsuit (or a dry wetsuit, for that matter). It really makes a huge difference.

Works well. If you don't want to bother with the bag leave your socks on when putting pants on then remove them--not quite as good, but helps a lot.

I wear a pair of scuba tube socks. They are made of lycra and I put them on and leave them on. Your foot slips right through the wetsuit. I put my booties on over the socks and the socks help keep my feet from being torn up after being wet for a week at a time. My LDS stocks them but you can get them here.

ScubaTubeSocks, socks, scuba socks, dive socks, fin socks, lycra socks

I get the idea, and understand why you use the reel, but don't understand why you can't do the same with integrated weights. :idk:

You would have to tie each weight to the line individually. In the case of soft weights the size of the part you tie to could change causing the loss of that weight. With hard weights any rough edge on the weights could cut the line. You would also be pulling on the weights in a straight line making them less effective then a belt that could dig itself into a soft bottom.

Back
Top Bottom