Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not make penetration dives but I always carry a small reel on charter boat dives so if I am left behind I can go back to the bottom and secure the line so I remain in place. When someone comes back to look for you they will start at the original dive site a start to search out from that point.

Just a quick note on the comment by Krazytomdiver posted May 27th.
better not to put any silicone type products in any area that is part of the air path.
If small blobs dislodge and make it into your lungs they will never come out. A lot of the silicone grease people use is not "medical" grade and contains some nasty chemicals.
Also, grease on an o-ring on tank valves is a magnet for dirt to get stuck, actually increases the risk of leaks and damages to the o-ring.
Spit is a great lubricant for the o-ring though. It makes it settle into place nicely when you open the valve after you put the reg on the tank.

Also, here is something I tried during winter. Instead of using bulky undersuits under my drysuit (Viking in this case), I tried a triathlon wetsuit. very flexible and relatively thin, but I was warm even in a wintery Puget Sound and it allowed me to use about 3 lbs less weight. Very comfortable, but of course a bit more work to get dressed and undressed.
The other great benefit is that you won't freeze-up from cold shock if your drysuit happens to develop a major leak. You can pretty much just continue your dive in that case.

One trick I just recently picked up has made my kit so much tidier.It was so nice I copied it right away. My octi hose is now a 7 footer and it gets bungied to my BC so the octi sits againts my chest. if someone is in need they grab the octi and the hose just slides out

- I find getting fins on while dry suit diving is a pain, especially for my left foot. I have spring straps and can put them on much easier if I kneel down and reach behind to pull them on and sometimes getting them off.

- Sometimes my dry gloves leak, but if I put saliva on the o-ring, that helps to ensure a seal.

Wear tank upside down so overhead environment doesn't damage valves nor cut into hoses that are hanging high. Also can turn on tank with one hand.

A lot of good tips here. The only thing I can contribute is something about weight loss I learned from Jillian Michaels. "If it didn't have a mother and it didn't grow from the ground, don't eat it."

I learnt the hard way, when night diving NEVER turn your light off until you are back on the boat or dry land, if you happen to somehow drop it (my lanyard broke) it is much easier to locate.

Always place your tanks in your vehicle with the valves facing in such a direction that if your car is hit and a valve is broken the tank doesn't go through WHERE YOU ARE SITTING. I place mine in my trunk with the valves pointing forward so the tank is launched out the back of the car not into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom