Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken the trouble of memorizing my CC #, exp date and security code.
Yes, a bit of a pain, at first, but it pays off. No searching for the wallet when I'm online, you truly 'never leave home without it'.

For single divers who fear bieng left behind

I have a large orange plastic sign that I put on my second tank that reads:"If you can see this I am not yet on board". As soon as I climb back on the boat I take this off the tank and put it in my bag and then repeat again on the second dive. Its not flawless because if you do not make the taking out and placing it on the tank as part of your routine I can see that it is something that can work against you. Either way it becomes a conversation peace and makes it less likely that I will be forgotten.

For single divers who fear bieng left behind

I have a large orange plastic sign that I put on my second tank that reads:"If you can see this I am not yet on board". As soon as I climb back on the boat I take this off the tank and put it in my bag and then repeat again on the second dive. Its not flawless because if you do not make the taking out and placing it on the tank as part of your routine I can see that it is something that can work against you. Either way it becomes a conversation peace and makes it less likely that I will be forgotten.

What a great idea.I keep thinking about that movie.

It won't happen to my with the local ops because they know me so well, but I have been out a number of times where some new face was found to be missing only after roll call.

When my daughter attended a surf camp in middle school, I was a PIA the first day with the instructors so they would remember that ******* father and presumably his kid.

What a great idea.I keep thinking about that movie.

It won't happen to my with the local ops because they know me so well, but I have been out a number of times where some new face was found to be missing only after roll call.

Thanks. I guess there are lots of ways to be memorable but one has to make sure that it is in a positive way so that there is no incentive to leave you behind :) LOL

Thanks. I guess there are lots of ways to be memorable but one has to make sure that it is in a positive way so that there is no incentive to leave you behind :) LOL

Agree! lol

Hi Elmer, While i appreciate your input...You may notice that I am an instructor and I own a dive shop...and average about 700 dives a year. I own eight DIN regs, and not counting my shop stuff 6 yoke regs. I deal with the set up and take apart of about 12 sets of gear a day, ( Very conservative) that`s about 7,000 times a year. So in my experience of roughly 35-40,000 set ups in my diving career. I believe I am aware of any remaining gas in the systems....and usually I do not dive an spg but AI....not a lot of residual gas in that sending unit...Is this a daily problem....no, it has happened four or five times. Have I ever found the cause ? No, have I bled the tanks empty to remove all possible pressure from the system...yes..with that additional information, if any body has a suggestion as to why I would experience this periodic lock up of a din system, it would be useful..
Thanks.
Dissimilar metals reacting to cold/heat differently would be my (inexperienced diver) reply. In my other world its something I've used extensively. (freezing bearings and heating the mounting before dropping a bearing into place.

I keep a few unused doggie poop bags in my dive bag. I put them over my feet as socks before putting on the wetsuit. My feet slip right through the suit and out the leg holes, where I pull off the "plastic sock" and hand it to the guy next to me who is usually saying, "Wow, let me try that!" I can put my wetsuit on in half the time.

Neat simple little trick you might like.

I keep a few unused doggie poop bags in my dive bag. I put them over my feet as socks before putting on the wetsuit. My feet slip right through the suit and out the leg holes, where I pull off the "plastic sock" and hand it to the guy next to me who is usually saying, "Wow, let me try that!" I can put my wetsuit on in half the time.

Neat simple little trick you might like.

Lycra socks work great as well and you can keep them on so that you do not get any chafing and blistering with booties or full foot fins. Took my Lycra socks on a liveaboard and a fellow diver wanted to pay me $200 for a pair of $10 socks as he was blistered up after just 3 days if diving

here is a trick I came up with when I borrowed someone's drysuit that was a size too big for me. For those who have boots on their drysuits that are too large for their feet. And as you know, nothing more annoying than that feeling that your feet are going to pop-out of your drysuit boots while diving. Wear a pair of rubber flipflops inside your socks (yes, need large socks and flip-flops that are not much bigger than your feet). Gives a tight fit during the dive but you can easily pull your foot out of the sock after the dive.

Marking off spools each metre and then doing a different colour line at each five metre mark (i.e. each metre has one black stripe, at 5m you have one red stripe, at 10m you have two red stripes and so on) is very handy for navigation and measuring viz.

I like it :scatter:

I've only just recently purchased my first reel & SMB, and I think I will mark it as you suggest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom