Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• Nylon socks under your booties will save your feet on a live-a- board.

They also saved my upper heels this past week during a week-long multi-dive per day trip. Previously, I had been getting painful abrasions that I thought were due to my fin straps. However, I took the time to really checkout what was going on underwater, and I noticed that it was the topmost part of the heel-cup on my booties (ankle-high style), and not the fins at all. I like the booties otherwise, and didn't want to buy something taller, so I grabbed two pairs of nylon dress socks from the nearest KMart. Not only did it cure the abrasions, but it makes getting the wetsuit on easier.

For those diving with wet hoods that suffer from uncomfortable bubble head, poke a hole in it with a small knife, preferrably when its off your head. This works like a relief valve, letting the air out, and works really well when dealing with full face masks.

For those diving with dry hoods attached to a dry suit, that have long sits, run your ear buds from your ipod through the neck seal with the ipod tucked into an undergarment pocket set to shuffle. That way you can listen to music to pass the time.

When dealing with senile giant pacific octupus that wants to attach itself to your buddy's face, put your finger into the gill slit. This irritates the heck out of it and it will leave immediately.

Use oversized double ended stainless steel snaps or snap swivels that have a "dog leash" style gate. Avoid non-locking gated carabiners or snap hooks. This avoids potential snag issues with discarded fishing lines and monofilament nets.

Don't make me post a pic of me in pantyhose!

Not very pretty. It was in the Poconos in the 70's, so I had an excuse.

If you remember the 70's you weren't really there!

Seriously though I do have a couple of tips regarding dive knives. First I use an 8" bastard file to sharpen my knife not a sharpening stone. I draw it down from the tip to the handle at an slight angle this will give it a small serrated edge and lots of burrs. The burrs act as a microscopic saw blade perfect for cutting fishing line. All you need to do is touch it to the line and it cuts right through with no effort. Second I place the sheath on the upper part of my leg where my right hand naturally comes to rest using surgical tubing instead of the normal straps. I can find it with out searching or bending in any way to reach it and the tubing will contract as the suit compresses so it stays where you want it as you go deeper.

Seriously though I do have a couple of tips regarding dive knives. First I use an 8" bastard file to sharpen my knife not a sharpening stone. I draw it down from the tip to the handle at an slight angle this will give it a small serrated edge and lots of burrs. The burrs act as a microscopic saw blade perfect for cutting fishing line. All you need to do is touch it to the line and it cuts right through with no effort. Second I place the sheath on the upper part of my leg where my right hand naturally comes to rest using surgical tubing instead of the normal straps. I can find it with out searching or bending in any way to reach it and the tubing will contract as the suit compresses so it stays where you want it as you go deeper.

I still place my sheath exactly where you do. I also used to use surgical latex tubing for the knife sheath until I found something that was much better. The tubing has too much of a tendancy to roll up and down your leg.

I use two 1-inch strips of truck inner tube, which provides the requisite elasticity, but does not roll and stays put. The top loop (thigh) is fixed length via a simple knot. The botttom strap has a fastex plastic male/female clip that allows easy on/off.

Another thing I have found usefull is a product called Ever-Dip for use on my wetsuit. Ever-Dip was meant to use on tools in order to put a rubber coating on the handles. There must be other products like this at any home supply store. You can paint it on knee pads or anywhere else on your suit that is subject to wear.

For photographers - take a photo of your return address label, add your phone number and "lock" this photo so that you don't delete it when clearing old photos off the card. Now if your camera is lost, some honest person will go through your pics and know whom to contact to return it.

When travelling - scan a copy of your passport and email it to yourself, can do the same with credit and debit cards (back and front). If these items are lost, you always have email access somewhere and can print out or access these important docs. No need to have a paper copy anymore.

Buy a spray bottle small or large (I bought a new large never used pesticide spray bottle). Fill with tap water and use at dive site to pre-dive wet tank cam band, wet mask and post-dive spray excess sand, grass off boots and wet/dry suit.

When travelling - scan a copy of your passport and email it to yourself, can do the same with credit and debit cards (back and front). If these items are lost, you always have email access somewhere and can print out or access these important docs. No need to have a paper copy anymore.

Problem is email is not secure, so I'd not be comfortable emailing such info. If someone has your credit card numbers with security codes they can wreak havoc with your accounts.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom