Near Misses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you dive you, are on life support

Gerry PADI D.M

If you really believe this, you have no business being a DM. In open water, it aint life support.

What is with all the pissing on the board newbie? So what if his choice of words were off; he'll learn.

Hi all, I had posted a few weeks ago about my concerns with using Dive palancar. My wife and I have now been here at the Occidental Grand now for a week, and we had decided to do the AOW certification with Dive Palancar. On the first day here I talked with the PR rep for Dive Palancar, a German guy, I think his name was Hance or something like that. He informed me that they have shut down their compressor and are using the one in town. However, Occidental grand gets their tanks from the sister hotel down the beach so I can't confirm whether he was telling the truth. He stated that they were not allowed to release any information because DAN is investigating the incident and they don't want any false info getting out, again I don't know if he is telling the truth or not. We have now dove all week and no problem with the tanks. I have other concerns with this dive op, which I will post later on when we return home. However I can tell you that safety is not their primary concern. My wife and I are headed back home tomorrow.

Dive safe, have fun. :D

scubadiving:
When you dive you, are on life support

If you really believe this, you have no business being a DM. In open water, it aint life support.

I must disagree, since I can't breathe underwater. My gear supports my continuing to live at depth for extended periods of time, which otherwise could not occur. Even open water is a sufficiently hostile environment that people can and do die in it.

Here's an example that should illustrate my point:

Entanglement of an ankle in high-strength monofilament in my backyard - extremely unlikely to be fatal.

Entanglement of an ankle in high-strength monofilament at 100fsw with functioning scuba gear and enough gas for 15 minutes - risky, but with 15 minutes to become unentangled there's a good chance of survival.

Entanglement of an ankle in high-strength monofilament at 100fsw with no dive gear at all - extremely risky with high likelihood of drowning.

Sure, you can get all picky about knives or line cutters (which are still, after all, dive gear) or environment. In the end, though, if it's life-support in a cave or wreck, it's still life-support in open water. Do you disagree that dive gear is life-support equipment in an underwater cave?

Dive gear fits my medical definition of life-support equipment. What's your definition?

I must disagree, since I can't breathe underwater. My gear supports my continuing to live at depth for extended periods of time, which otherwise could not occur. Even open water is a sufficiently hostile environment that people can and do die in it.

Here's an example that should illustrate my point:
Entanglement of an ankle in high-strength monofilament in my backyard - extremely unlikely to be fatal.

Entanglement of an ankle in high-strength monofilament at 100fsw with functioning scuba gear and enough gas for 15 minutes - risky, but with 15 minutes to become unentangled there's a good chance of survival.

Entanglement of an ankle in high-strength monofilament at 100fsw with no dive gear at all - extremely risky with high likelihood of drowning.
Sure, you can get all picky about knives or line cutters (which are still, after all, dive gear) or environment. In the end, though, if it's life-support in a cave or wreck, it's still life-support in open water. Do you disagree that dive gear is life-support equipment in an underwater cave?

Dive gear fits my medical definition of life-support equipment. What's your definition?
I hope you brought a fishing pole to go with that can of worms you just opened.:popcorn:

For anyone new to the board. There has been an ongoing, and often heated, battle over whether certain SCUBA equipment is considered "life-support". Usually, it revolves around the regulator.

On one side are those whose position is that it is not life-support. Their argument is usually that, while it may fit the technical definition of life-support. The term should not be used because it is just being used for fear-mongering purposes.

On the other side of the debate are those that believe that if the equipment fits the definition, then it is what it is. . . Deal with it.

The third side are those that really just have no clue.

And the fourth side are the rest of us.:D

And the fourth side are the rest of us.
We're the ones who thinks the question dumb...? :silly:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom