Near Misses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is it that you (appear to) think that Dive Palancar has an obligation to respond to your calling them out? No offense intended, but who are you to them?

They posted on this thread and it seemed that it was important to get some answers to this incdent. I was pleased to see that there was a response from Dive Palancar.
I have recently referred a family to their dive op for next week and was concerned that I may have made a mistake and that when they arrive there they may hear of this incident.
Do you not believe that Dive Palancar has some questions to answer?
I am just a guy that likes to dive in Cozumel and have no interest other than to try to understand the diving community in Cozumel and promote safe responsible diving in this wonderful location.

You also have to keep in mind the liability if he chose to answer here. I think his attorney would flay him alive for posting what he already has....any further comment on the questions you've asked him would be a really bad idea if what we all assume happened is what actually happened. I know my corporate attorney would have his foot on my throat if we had a similar incident and I chose to post about it on the internet. Perhaps Cozumel isn't as litigious as the USA.

IMPO, I think the industry across CALA and much of the world has just never dealt with the CO risk as it should be, since inline monitors are so cheap on a per tank basis and a real risk seems to be slipping thru in some cases even tho the standards historically used seem safe on the surface.

However, Dive Palancar seems sincerely interested in learning more and preventing CO problems as well as installing an Analox monitor. Time and actions will tell more of course, but it looks good to me. The biggest filler on the island who supplies to all of the smaller Ops does not seem to have any, and some are encouraging them to also install. There is a report that one Op dose use one, but that has yet to be confirmed with conflicting reports that the Op doesn't have a compressor.

Progress is being made, but Dive Palancar and most other Ops also have good reason to not get involved in our parlor room type discussion so I can understand, altho I think he has addressed clear questions well. I am not sure what your specific questions are, diverken?

In the end, I'll still be testing my tanks tho. The same biggest filler on the island has an almost perfect record filling, testing, and marking Nitrox tanks but I'd still check my Nitrox too. The current portable CO analyzers are similarly priced to Nitrox analyzers and I am looking forward to the Analox model to be released this summer, and hope I can get my home dive shop to handle the calibrating as they use an Analox inline monitor there.

I do a LOT of work in risk communications. Rule # 1 is fully disclose the probem. Rule #2 is tell EVERYONE what you've done to correct the problem. These two items are essential to rebuilding and restoring your reputation. Plain and simple.

Toño59;5093227:
We have been in contact only with PADI and the persons involved. In the incidents, two divers needed to get into the hyperbaric chamber for treatment. In the medical reports given to us, the air contamination is not mentioned, but since one of the divers concerned about it, from the day this happened, we stopped our compressor machines to verify their functioning and to be sure that everything is Ok, and we've been working with tanks rented from the company at downtown. The person who works filling up the tanks at our dive shop changes the filters every 50 hours of service, this is around every 5 or 6 days, and this is the first time, in 16 years, that some incident like this happens. A technician from the mainland is working and checking deeply the whole system, and we will use the compressors until he authorize it so we can be sure that everything is in perfect conditions. Now I am in contact with several companies in the web, asking for different kinds of analyzers and we are in the process to purchase one and install it in our machine. General Manager
Dive Palancar

I do a LOT of work in risk communications. Rule # 1 is fully disclose the probem. Rule #2 is tell EVERYONE what you've done to correct the problem. These two items are essential to rebuilding and restoring your reputation. Plain and simple.
As I understand it, no one on the island has a CO analyzer capable of measuring in the low range needed to appraise scuba air. I doubt there are many home CO models on the island since home heating is probly not common there, but even then those cannot measure low ranges. There are very few models that can, none of which are known to be on the isle - much less in the hands of accredited technicians.

You also have to keep in mind the liability if he chose to answer here. I think his attorney would flay him alive for posting what he already has....any further comment on the questions you've asked him would be a really bad idea if what we all assume happened is what actually happened. I know my corporate attorney would have his foot on my throat if we had a similar incident and I chose to post about it on the internet. Perhaps Cozumel isn't as litigious as the USA.
That's kinda what I thought as well. If I were a principal in Dive Palancar, I wouldn't submit to a grilling on a public forum.

That's kinda what I thought as well. If I were a principal in Dive Palancar, I wouldn't submit to a grilling on a public forum.

I went back and reviewed the post by Tono 59. In retrospect it is a fair and reasonable response to an unfortunate issue. I agree with the above posts and sorry for pushing the issue.
Thanks to Dive Palancar as it appears that they are doing their best to investigate, understand and prevent any further incidents.

Dive Palancar's obligation as a business is simple, as you may be.
If I book a trip with them, and I have a safety concern, it is therefore their obligation to respond in a timely fashion, otherwise close their doors.
They are selling dive trips, and safety is first,fun is second.
When you dive you, are on life support, perhaps you think this incident is a joke.
Gerry PADI D.M

If I book a trip with them, and I have a safety concern, it is therefore their obligation to respond in a timely fashion, otherwise close their doors.
When you dive you, are on life support, perhaps you think this incident is a joke.
Gerry PADI D.M
What are you talking about? No one in here thinks any thing of the sort.

Gerry PADI D.M

You are a natural! Such drama! You will fit into this board like a custom made wetsuit. I hereby declare you KING OF SCUBABOARD!

Welcome, oh great dive master...please show us poor, ignorant peasants the path to enlightenment. Our safety is in your hands...

:D

Back
Top Bottom