Near Misses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So.... For the new diver: What would be your recommended dive equipment, like in order of purchase? If you had so many dinero, buy items 1 to 5 and save to get 6, etc etc....:daydreaming:
Very high on my list would be a computer. It might even be #1.

Gordo, one item aint a list.... :no:

Like I might say,
1. Mask
2. Fins
3. Computer
4. SMB (Yes, Don, I ordered one....)

But then I know little.... :baby:

Very high on my list would be a computer. It might even be #1.
Interesting. I carry two so that I can make sure to have one, or one for a buddy who doesn't but I don't think of them as beginner gear. Depends on the diving I guess, but for 2/day multi-level Coz? Also depends on how long one lasts on a tank I suppose. My bud and I are air hogs but diving 100 cf tanks last time we did have to work back into the green.
Gordo, one item aint a list.... :no:

Like I might say,
1. Mask
2. Fins
3. Computer
4. SMB (Yes, Don, I ordered one....)

But then I know little.... :baby:
Most have to have their own mask and fins to even do the OW course, and fitting the mask can be a challenge for some.

OK I know that you generally dive with one operator with great equipment that you trust so your approach would be different from mine. I've dived a lot of various sites and Ops of various qualities and a variety of boat pick buddies. :shocked2: With my experiences, I want my gear that I know well, know the servicing, tightened the connections myself, etc.

If you were to try to use my attitude on your budget tho, it'd depend on how much you wanted to spend I guess? I only had to buy for one so I got all of my gear at once. If I had to spread out purchases, like you buying for several maybe, still - reg and BC would be my most important, but those are the most of the expense of a kit huh?

Interesting. I carry two so that I can make sure to have one, or one for a buddy who doesn't but I don't think of them as beginner gear. Depends on the diving I guess, but for 2/day multi-level Coz? Also depends on how long one lasts on a tank I suppose. My bud and I are air hogs but diving 100 cf tanks last time we did have to work back into the green.

Most have to have their own mask and fins to even do the OW course, and fitting the mask can be a challenge for some.

OK I know that you generally dive with one operator with great equipment that you trust so your approach would be different from mine. I've dived a lot of various sites and Ops of various qualities and a variety of boat pick buddies. :shocked2: With my experiences, I want my gear that I know well, know the servicing, tightened the connections myself, etc.

If you were to try to use my attitude on your budget tho, it'd depend on how much you wanted to spend I guess? I only had to buy for one so I got all of my gear at once. If I had to spread out purchases, like you buying for several maybe, still - reg and BC would be my most important, but those are the most of the expense of a kit huh?

I am thinking about my own reg and bc at some point. I hate to think about trying to figure out what I want there! Even without that, I never really considered the SMB or a mirror or such. Now I see the value in having an SMB. Thought it might be useful to come up with a list to get people thinking. :shark:

I am thinking about my own reg and bc at some point. I hate to think about trying to figure out what I want there! Even without that, I never really considered the SMB or a mirror or such. Now I see the value in having an SMB. Thought it might be useful to come up with a list to get people thinking. :shark:
Take a look at New Divers and Basic Scuba forums.

OK, but my question is how can you tell when your mirror is flashing at the boat? To hit the boat with reflection from the sun, the angles (zenith and azimuth) of your mirror have to be right within pretty close tolerances.

Or turn your back to the boat and face the mirror towards you and the boat, move the mirror to make it flash, turn back around and keep doing what you were doing. As long as that mirror is flashing in the boats direction it's going to be visible. I forgot the exact distances, but as I recall a mirror (provided there is sun) is the most visible signaling device there is.
I have one with the sighting screen, but it is not necessasary to have a mirror that has one ..

hold your hand out and form a V with two fingers, put what your aiming at between them (boat, dock, whatever) .. hold mirror in other hand and put it near your line of sight to target then aim mirror's reflection so it shines on your fingers, sweep back and forth ... light is aimed directly at target
(thanks Walter)

We are probably the busiest air analysis lab in North Amer and currently have offices operating in both SE Asia and in the UK. We are now looking for a partner in the Mexican Caribbean. For the right person/organization...we'll provide the lab equipment and the training. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate. Please contact me directly. LKaplan@Lawrence-Factor.com

We are probably the busiest air analysis lab in North Amer and currently have offices operating in both SE Asia and in the UK. We are now looking for a partner in the Mexican Caribbean. For the right person/organization...we'll provide the lab equipment and the training. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate. Please contact me directly. LKaplan@Lawrence-Factor.com
I am certainly aware of your lab. To serve Mexico and the Caribbean I would think that Cancun would be better with direct flights for samples, but wish you luck. Maybe if more of us divers start checking our tanks, the operators just might get the message that they have to do the same? It currently seems that few do.

I have a degree in chemistry and extensive experience in gas chromatography, specifically in gas mixture analysis. Have you got a job for me? :D

I have a degree in chemistry and extensive experience in gas chromatography, specifically in gas mixture analysis. Have you got a job for me? :D
Wow! I never knew that.

Back
Top Bottom