Near Misses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yowilhelm, Is the DAN version worth all that cash? I looking at that and then the cheaper ones.

Don, after seeing the pictures, you appear to have more equipment with you on a dive than most dive boats. What do you suggest is the best way of signalling YOU, should I need assistance. (Seriously though you have made be feel like an idiot for not already buying a sausage....)

Yowilhelm, Is the DAN version worth all that cash? I looking at that and then the cheaper ones.

Don, after seeing the pictures, you appear to have more equipment with you on a dive than most dive boats. What do you suggest is the best way of signalling YOU, should I need assistance. (Seriously though you have made be feel like an idiot for not already buying a sausage....)
And you don't see the stuff I carry in the pockets, or the other stuff I leave on the boat! Hey I can still carry it all in one trip.

The best way to signal me is to grab either free second stage, the yellow alternate to my back gas or the pony, and start breathing - I'll understand. Eh, other methods work well too - but not the duck. My bud got one but I never hear it, but then he ignores me too much too.

We had a PM discussion about you only diving with a well respected Coz operator with admirable gear, and I wondered if I should ask you about your signaling devices? Even diving with a great DM, everyone in your family should have their own find-me-now gear. Some argue that sausages are not big enough but you see my pics; how much more you think I can carry?
The 45 inch Dive Signal Tube is a lot more than nothing for $20. I like red better than yellow but also carry a white kitchen garbage bag to inflate and illuminate at night if ever needed.

If you want a bigger one tho, the 6' Signal Tube is also $20

The S.M.A.R.T BCD Integrated gimmick seems to be a flop and you cannot send it up from a finger spool from below, but they're clearing it out for $40

The Zeagle QD Deluxe signal tube looks like an overpriced gimmick as the spools go for less than $15, but they seem to have a listing mistake...
List Price: $115.00 - $182.00
Our Price: $104.99 - $164.99
You Save: $77.01 (42%) - ok, where am I saving $77?

The Innovative Diver Safety Signaling Kit for $40 includes an 8 ft sausage (are we getting silly now?), Light Stick, cheap Whistle, 9 ft. Buddy Lanyard, SS Signaling Mirror, and a Mesh Bag - except I can imagine a diver spilling half of that stuff on a dive.​
DAN is a fine organization with great dive insurance, but I don't buy my gear ins there, or my trip ins, and their sausage looks overpriced.

Last edited:
Oh the sun may not be straight up often, but it could be in the opposite direction as the boat, I know. Still, it can reflect available light better and further than waving. It may be hit or miss, but if I ever get swept away - I want everything I can carry with me to signal with, i.e. camera strobe, dive light, mirror, white trash bag, sausage, depending on the conditions. The mirror carries as easy as my dogtag so it always goes.
OK, but my question is how can you tell when your mirror is flashing at the boat? To hit the boat with reflection from the sun, the angles (zenith and azimuth) of your mirror have to be right within pretty close tolerances.

[c]
mirror_instructions_300w.jpg
[/c]

OK, but my question is how can you tell when your mirror is flashing at the boat? To hit the boat with reflection from the sun, the angles (zenith and azimuth) of your mirror have to be right within pretty close tolerances.

Or turn your back to the boat and face the mirror towards you and the boat, move the mirror to make it flash, turn back around and keep doing what you were doing. As long as that mirror is flashing in the boats direction it's going to be visible. I forgot the exact distances, but as I recall a mirror (provided there is sun) is the most visible signaling device there is.

With a little practice, you can become very precise at aiming a signal mirror. The sighting screen allows you to be certain of where the light is hitting.

Originally Posted by cvchief

I think the Dan unit is a good deal. I Wanted something easy to deploy at depth, this has a couple options. It has a spill proof bottum for the second stage as well as a deal that uses the lp inflator hose. Out of air, blow it up......but do it on the surface. I never carried a mirror before but this kit includes one soooooooo I will be carrying it now....

on the surface, it will not stay up. The Dan sausage is substantial, and will stay up.
I always dive with a safety sausage, a strobe, a mirror, and a Dive Alert Plus horn.

You can buy the DAN sausage from Scubatoys for $60, which is a great price.

So.... For the new diver: What would be your recommended dive equipment, like in order of purchase? If you had so many dinero, buy items 1 to 5 and save to get 6, etc etc....:daydreaming:

Back
Top Bottom