Near Misses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My intention is not to slam anyone's business. Maybe I am being a little nit picky but when I read in earlier posts about a dive master not sending up a safety sausage, and then many replies stating that it is an unsafe practice usually is an indicator that it is unsafe practice. Then when I experience it not once but twice with a dive instructor who is supposed to not only teach safe diving practice, but practice it kind of puts me off. Antonio should be in charge of his employees and ensure that they are doing what they are paid to do. This dive instructor knew what kind of experience we had and was informed as to our concerns with this wreck dive and he minimized them. My wife was so traumatized by the experience she didn't even want to dive again that day, and I wasn't in much of a mind to go again myself. We had dove with Dressel over the past two years and there is no comparison. The dive masters (instructors) there are much more safety minded, and I was instructed as to what the procedures would be in case of an emergency on every dive. Maybe Dressel is more conservative than most other dive shops, but for my life I'll choose the more conservative any day of the week. I'm comparing two similar operations not a small op where you dive with the same dive masters year after year. For those who have not dove with Dressel you should try at least once to experience it for yourself. Someone had posted on another thread that "Dressel Divers is a well oiled machine". Now I have to say that I have had only gone with one other dive op... Suba Du for our very first ocean dive and the experience was also very good. I guess we were just spoiled. :dramaqueen: I did learn a good lesson from all of this. We will be more self sufficient when it comes to our own safety... carry our own safety sausage and other safety equipment.

My intention is not to slam anyone's business. Maybe I am being a little nit picky but when I read in earlier posts about a dive master not sending up a safety sausage, and then many replies stating that it is an unsafe practice usually is an indicator that it is unsafe practice. Then when I experience it not once but twice with a dive instructor who is supposed to not only teach safe diving practice, but practice it kind of puts me off. Antonio should be in charge of his employees and ensure that they are doing what they are paid to do. .

Your posts indicate you dove with Dive Palancar and were not happy. Antonio works for ScubaDu not Dive Palancar.

Judy.........he's talking about Antonio Novello who runs Dive Palancar........(whoops).........Betsy

I did learn a good lesson from all of this. We will be more self sufficient when it comes to our own safety... carry our own safety sausage and other safety equipment.

The awareness as a diver of having to be self-sufficient and self-preserving needs to develop in all divers at some point.

On the bright side, learning the lesson and awakening to this realization at least came at no real physical harm to you or your wife.

Divemaster are supposed to be trained to anticipate a problem.
Not having a safety sausage could potentially be a problem.
No matter how safe a dive organization is, I always take responsibility for my own safety, by having the right equipment for the dive conditions.

Thanks for the imput that everyone has on ensuring that me as a diver be properly equipped with safety devices and such. During all of my dives in Cozumel I believe I only saw one diver other than the dive masters with a safety sausage. Why is it not required that every diver is equipped with more safety devices or at least a safety sausage while diving in Cozumel due to the higher possibility that a diver can become separated from their group during a dive and has to ascend before the group. I would like to get an idea of how many divers do carry safety sausages that dive in Cozumel.

Thanks for the imput that everyone has on ensuring that me as a diver be properly equipped with safety devices and such. During all of my dives in Cozumel I believe I only saw one diver other than the dive masters with a safety sausage. Why is it not required that every diver is equipped with more safety devices or at least a safety sausage while diving in Cozumel due to the higher possibility that a diver can become separated from their group during a dive and has to ascend before the group. I would like to get an idea of how many divers do carry safety sausages that dive in Cozumel.
Well, some divers do carry them inside BC pockets therefore unseen by others - but it's always amazed me that anyone would dive in the ocean, a river, or any other large body of water without one. I've carried the same one on every ocean, river, and practice dive since I got certified.

Some liveaboards do require the carrying of a sausage, supplying them if needed - and I marvel at the people who board without them. :shocked2: Safety is a personal responsibility tho, so why should Coz operators require them?

Hehe, I remember a chat with a married couple I know here who went to Bonaire, did a boat dive, got swept away in current, and had some difficulties getting the boat's attention. I asked if they had sausages? "Yes, but they were in our bags on the boat." Gawd!

Here are some other suggestions

My buddy can always recognize me in a crowd by my bright sausage clipped to my bcd. But I think most divers I know have them attached or in pockets. I think those without them are in the minority. At least I hope so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom