NE Kayak Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They might, but I wouldn't count on it. A good old fashioned mailing list will do the job for a small group like ours (10-20 divers, by my estimates) quite efficiently.

The reason for the question is that I have a 7mm one piece and was reminded last weekend how stiff the arms are while trying on a neoprene dry suit. I usually just turn down the top of my wetsuit when not diving and all is well. Is this safe to do while paddling out/in? I can see where the farmer john might have an advantage in this situation.

What suit is everyone using and method for paddling?

Dive buddy and I are very close to just sucking it up and buying a diveyak. We do realize that we are sacrificing some performance and ease in favor of the convenience and minimal storage space of an inflatable. Also, we both together come in well under 300 lbs and don't plan on paddling far or using this for more than short distance as a dedicated dive craft, so hopefully the Trident 2-person will fit the bill.

Main question is to hear from anyone who has had a good experience diving tandem on the Trident 2-person (see here: https://secure3.nexternal.com/share...2=616248726&ProductID=631&Target=products.asp)

- Did you have an issue with stability when you had two people each doing their own thing, or was this manageable (ie. strap everything in on land, get to the site, inflate and dump equipment into the water, suit up in the water, and reverse when exiting)?
- Does this kayak have the capacity for 300 lbs of person plus 4 tanks (2xHP80s, 2xHP100s) and gear? The listed capacity is 600 lbs, but don't know if this is optimistic or under what surface conditions this is possible.

Add me to the list. I don't have a kayak yet but Ishouldknowbetter and I have been talking about getting a couple and I can see it happening before too much time goes this summer. If there is a group actively diving them that might be jsut the spur in the side I need.
Paul

So I just found out that the Trident and the XK2020 are both 2-person diveyaks. Now just need to figure out the reason for the $200 difference. Anyone know a retailer or LDS that has both (or either) of these available to go check out? Or, does anyone local own one that wouldn't mind giving a shout next time he/she goes out and I can take a peek at?

Also, do any of you kayakers worry about your gear sitting unsecured on the surface. Am I being paranoid about the security issue? Given the occasional flareup between lobstermen and divers, as well as the worry about anyone just snagging something unsecured, would a nice inflatable sitting at the top be an easy target for vandalism or theft? (another argument for the cheaper model). I'm the type who doesn't leave my second tank on shore for a quick change...

Mark_N:
The reason for the question is that I have a 7mm one piece and was reminded last weekend how stiff the arms are while trying on a neoprene dry suit. I usually just turn down the top of my wetsuit when not diving and all is well. Is this safe to do while paddling out/in? I can see where the farmer john might have an advantage in this situation.

During the summer I use a 3/2 in my sea kayak and that is hot and I need to roll at times to cool off. For the few kayak dives I have done in my scrambler I used my flexible 5mm surfing suit and that works ok but becomes quite hot on the surface. One time I brought a shortie and pulled that over my 5mm at the dive site. (one arm at a time next time - that could have been a disaster0

I find the 5mm restrictive in the arms but not impossible. I would think a 7mm would be quote hot and tough to paddle in unless you turn down the top of course.

Whether you turn down the top probably depends on the conditions and your comfort level, your exeperience paddling, and how far you are going out. Definitely wear a rash shirt or something underneath.

I think the 5mm/shortie combo will work for me. There's no way I could turn down my 5 since it is a top entry.

Most sea kayakers I know use the farmer john with a kokotat dry top.

Mark_N:

I haven't tried it yet but from what I read most people paddle out with the top of the suit rolled down and then put it on at the site. I think that and changing out a tank will be the toughest two things to master.

Managed to pick up a used MalibuKayak Pro2 Tandem. Just in time for it to rain all weekend. Guess I'll have time to figure out how to tie everything down.

localdivah:
Main question is to hear from anyone who has had a good experience diving tandem on the Trident 2-person (see here: https://secure3.nexternal.com/share...2=616248726&ProductID=631&Target=products.asp)

- Did you have an issue with stability when you had two people each doing their own thing, or was this manageable (ie. strap everything in on land, get to the site, inflate and dump equipment into the water, suit up in the water, and reverse when exiting)?
- Does this kayak have the capacity for 300 lbs of person plus 4 tanks (2xHP80s, 2xHP100s) and gear? The listed capacity is 600 lbs, but don't know if this is optimistic or under what surface conditions this is possible.

I bought a two person DiveYak. It is good for your equipment(Make sure you have a lanyard attached to all your equipment) We get the DiveYak to the water then we take the equipment to it and secure it. With all the weight it bends the DiveYak and is hard on it. I roll my shortie down and jump in then put it on completely. Before I roll my tank and BC in the water(INFLATE THE BC) have not forgot yet but I am sure I will but that is why youhave it secure to the Yak. The one problem that we have is while paddling staying together and not hitting each other to much:D
The yak is setup for two tanks I do not seefour getting on but you can try. I also have AL80's. Basically you will sit low in the water but you are going to get wet anyways so who cares. I like the Yak(OR PIG to some) because it is slow but gets the job done. I have not tried this out yet but on some other threads they suggest to attach the yak to you while scuba diving, if you think someone will take it. If the waves are bad you have to worry about going up and down with it. I usually just anchor it and swim around checking out the many sites in a lake :wink: Then surface and swim to the Yak or you can tie a line to the anchor and take off then you have a line right back to the anchor.

Hope this helps some

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom