NE Kayak Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Malibu Two (by Ocean Kayak) for free diving and for scuba. I live in Lauderdale by the Sea Florida and I only carry scuba on the kayak when the weather is ideal. It can carry 2 adults with gear for snorkeling or 1 adult with 2 tanks. Two tanks is really loading it to the max in terms of stability. I have never used it but there is a dive kayak made by Cobra Kayaks that looks like it would be more stable than the Malibu Two.

Here are some tips that I have learned (some the hard way :) ) that I would like to pass along. I guess my location makes me a SE Kayak diver but I am sure that many of the same techniques apply. I hope these can help someone...

1) You must tie EVERYTHING down because you will flip the kayak sooner or later :11: . Especially when you load it up with tanks (raising the center of gravity) the kayak becomes more top heavy making it easier to roll. With the Malibu Two there is a big difference in stability when carrying 1 tank or 2. One tank is much more stable. When you tie stuff down you need to use more than just the straps that the kayak comes with. With a violent roll over dumping tanks off, the plastic clips on the straps are inadequate.. and you may lose your gear. You need to use semi heavy thick line. Don't use thin line because thin line is easy to get tangled up in when you accidentally roll over.

2) Hook your regulator to your tank before you launch. Attach your BC to your tank and inflate it enough so that if you roll the kayak the tank will not sink. Then tie the BC to the kayak.

3) Keep your mask, fins, snorkel, etc in a mesh goody bag and also tie it to the kayak.

4) Paddle leashes are a must so that your paddle(s) do not fall off the boat and drift away while you are underwater.

5) Tie the anchor line to the forward bow handle but ALSO run the end of the anchor line through one of the forward scuppers and tie the line back to itself so that the kayak itself is tied to the anchor line. This will ensure that the kayak will not drift away if the forward bow handle breaks. The forward (and aft) bow handles on the Malibu are not heavy duty.

6) You will find that you will have ALOT of line running across the kayak, tying the gear down, paddle leashes, etc. Please be sure that you lay everything out neatly so that you do not get tangled up in the lines during an accidental roll over. You don’t want to get stuck under the kayak after it rolls. Imagine rolling over and visualize how you can manage it without getting tangled.

7) When launching into the surf, hold the bow handle (do not hold the side of the kayak) and only the bow handle and walk the kayak beyond the breaking waves then get in and paddle quickly straight thru the remaining waves. It is important to hit the waves directly head on… not at an angle or you may get rolled. If there are decent size waves you will want to paddle as quickly as possible to get thru the zone of breaking waves.

8) I tie my BC (I use a tank mounted BC) to one end of a 10 foot line and I tie the other end to my seat clip. When I am ready to dive I push my tank into the water, regulator attached and air on, with the BC partially inflated so that everything floats. Then I slide into the water wearing mask fins and snorkel, deflate the BC and put the tank on in the water. Decend down the anchor line to ensure that it is anchored well and will not drag while you are diving. Reverse this process when you surface.

9) If my buddy comes with me (I frequently dive solo) I anchor my kayak and tie his kayak to my aft bow handle with about a 15’ line.

10) When returning to the beach and approaching the breaking waves you may end up surfing if the waves are big enough. It is important to approach the beach keeping the stern of the kayak exactly perpendicular to the waves (which may not be perpendicular to the beach). This is where you can easily flip your kayak if you do not keep the kayak exactly perpendicular with the waves :). You may have to paddle like mad on one side if a wave causes you to slide off your perpendicular alignment. You may find yourself approaching the beach at an angle but that is okay.

11) I bough a soft cooler that I keep tied to the kayak in front of my feet. You can keep drinks, food etc in it. If I am out to take underwater photos then I put only my underwater cameras in the soft cooler and zip it up.

12) If you are paddling far offshore then I would recommend bringing a hand held VHF or a cell phone. You can purchase water tight bags for these at a kayak supply store. I also carry a small Garmin hand held GPS in a water tight bag. I keep it tied to my seat clip where I can easily view it.

Hope this helps :)
-Chris

Thanks for the insite.

Couple of questions on accessories.

1. Anchor - How much line would you all recommend and will the 1.5lb be sufficent for ocean diving or is it necessary to go with the 3lb?

2. Drift sock - Does anyone use these while diving?

3. Paddle keepers - would be nice to attach to side of kayak but do they get in the way during entry and exit?

Mark_N:
Thanks for the insite.

Couple of questions on accessories.

1. Anchor - How much line would you all recommend and will the 1.5lb be sufficent for ocean diving or is it necessary to go with the 3lb?

2. Drift sock - Does anyone use these while diving?

3. Paddle keepers - would be nice to attach to side of kayak but do they get in the way during entry and exit?

1. I use 100 FT of line, but all depends how deep you go. I have not used all 100 FT yet.

3. Paddle keeper are nice but make sure that when enter and exiting the paddle is not attached. It leaves a big scar on your chest when the paddle breaks under you on your chest :11: Learned the hard way. Just make sure that a lanyard is attached to the paddles.

Ok gang, got another question. I have a tandem that I took out to a nearby lake today just to paddle around. Tried paddling from both the front and back seat. Can't decide which is better or what it will be like once tanks and gear are loaded.

Anyone have a tandem and can share your preference to orginization?

With the Malibu Two there is a center seat for paddling with one person and a rear seat that is meant to be used when you are going tandem. For me sitting in the center offers better balance and steering. Although I prefer the center, I have also used the rear seat too. If I had to choose between a forward seat and a rear seat I would go with the rear seat. I like being able to see all my gear and if you have too much weight forward the bow will dig into the waves instead of riding over them.

Anyone interested in getting out this weekend? Here is the marine forcast:

COASTAL WATERS FROM MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT 25 NM TO PLYMOUTH MA OUT 40 NM- INCLUDING THE STELLWAGEN BANK NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY

SAT... SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING S 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT LATE. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

SUN... SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

BOSTON HARBOR-

SAT... SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT LATE. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

SUN... SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS... THEN 1 TO 2 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

I am amazing the "legs" this thread has after two years. You'd think everyone was a kayak diver (or is it a divaker?, or yakdiver?, whichever maybe "Yak" and help me out there) and I still cannot convince my dive buddy it's a good idea!!

Trip to the Rockport Breaker Wall. If conditions permit we may venture just beyond to dive either Little or Dry Salvages.

Planning to meet at the pier in Rockport, MA around 9am. Let me know if your coming so we can wait for the entire group :14:

If diving from a kayak do you need to have a life jaket on board?

rubberduck:
If diving from a kayak do you need to have a life jaket on board?
Short skinny answer - Yes. You must have a Coast-Guard approved PFD on board for every passenger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom