NE Kayak Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cecilb63:
Anyone else?

I'm looking to go the weekend after the next, the 16th or 17th.

Maybe next year... I dont have a dive kayak yet but have been paddling for the past nine years. It seems like a pretty logical transition for me to combine the two. They seem pretty much ideal for allot of the local dive spots.

John
ACA coastal kayak instructor (OW)

I too have been reading/thinking about getting a DiveYak or similar kayak. Would be good to know who else is actively pursing this option and have a list of good sites to dive.

pgdive:
"We currently have a plan to launch the specialty next summer. If UDI don't want to do this, we will find another store, which would be more open to the potential of this sport. If anybody has any thought or would like to help - please let me know"

We will work with you on this next summer. Just let me know the sepcifics

Paul
I'm totally in... let me know when the class is going to happen!

I love diving on the South Shore, but there are almost no dive charters down there, and there are hardly any shore dives with parking. A kayak would open up a whole world of awesome sites!

I'm lucky enough to live 1/4 mile from this small harbour in Cape Neddick ME. It's a great spot for easy but very enjoyable diving. Only problem is it's rather shallow until you swim out a ways. This spot and the swim is what got me thinking about kayak diving. So I tried kayak diving out there the last two days and worked really well!

I see the possibilities are endless with kayak diving. I'm psyched now to hit some good sites plus do some exploration and also scalloping in November. Buddies are scarce though so speak up if you want to go!

Cecil, welcome. I have to ask about your name, we are pretty rare. I also know that harbour very well and go by it all the time. It is a small world. Now if you last name is Berry and you were in the Navy, we have met. Vallejo, Ca in 1973.

It's actually Chris. cecilb63 is an old email acct I got that I ended up sticking with.

Guys please keep me posted, i will love to try it, if we can get together to plan something for the next spring please let me know i'm in!!!

As with probably everyone else, this thread got me reading some info too. :) To that end, do the kayak divers up here tend to anchor, and dive around the kayak, anchor, and tow a flag, or just toe the kayak with a flag on it? Just curious whats the norm for new england, as most of the info I have found about kayak diving has been tropical.

LordMicon:
As with probably everyone else, this thread got me reading some info too. :) To that end, do the kayak divers up here tend to anchor, and dive around the kayak, anchor, and tow a flag, or just toe the kayak with a flag on it? Just curious whats the norm for new england, as most of the info I have found about kayak diving has been tropical.

There is hardly a norm around. On one hand, the optimal method varies from site to site and personal pereference. On the other hand, there is no organized kayak diving around here - it's all do it yourself by individual enthusiasts.

Perosonally, I often just beach the kayak (Salt Island, etc). Sometimes though anchoring does the trick just fine (Pebble beach, back beach, etc). If you are lucky to get to one of the more remote sites (The Breakwater, Paddock Rock, etc), you can just tie the kayak to the morring at the site.

Just my 2c.

LordMicon:

The answer I expect depends on what kind of diving you want to do but I would think the majority of time one would be anchoring. One of the advantages of kayak diving is you have an anchor line to follow down and use as a reference point for your dive. On my few practice dives I've done exactly that, I "park" in a central spot and make various forays out and about.

Another advantage is you have a dive platform. So you'd anchor and go scalloping and bring your goodies up and place on boat for the paddle back.

Another advtange is saving air on those long surface swims. Paddle out and anchor at the deeps versus swimming out.

I'm not sure about a drift dive. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could let us know whether you'd want to be tethered to your free floating kayak 40' down on a drift...

Back
Top Bottom