NC Quarries that are open to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Mystery Lake on Saturday. They have continued to make improvements. Now have several picnic tables and a large shelter area near entry. They have added a trailer. Half of it is changing rooms. Other half is a classroom so instructors can have class out of the weather if that is needed. Large number of benches with tank holders in back make gearing up easy. They have also started opening up a second area down to the right. That will probably not be ready for a while. There is both a walk in shore entry and a giant stride into 80 ft of water. Camping is permitted. They have motorized raft? pontoon boat. On request they will take divers to other side who want to do a half circuit coming back. (It is too far around for most divers to do). Few pictures and a diver report over on Raleigh Area Divers and Down Under Divers Club.

I am new to this forum, NC, and somewhat new to diving in general. I am OW and Nitrox certified. I don't know anyone in the area that dives and am really interested in checking out some of the quarries. All of these sites are new to me, so mainly looking to see if I could find a buddy that knows them or wants to check them out with me.

I am new to this forum, NC, and somewhat new to diving in general. I am OW and Nitrox certified. I don't know anyone in the area that dives and am really interested in checking out some of the quarries. All of these sites are new to me, so mainly looking to see if I could find a buddy that knows them or wants to check them out with me.

There are lots of divers in the area. Join Raleigh Area Divers or Down Under Divers Club. RAD is free but you need to request to join so that spammers can be kept off. DUDC is cheap but they hold events. DUDC and Gypsy and CDC (Gypsy and CDC are local dive shop) hold events that are open to anybody and often have a bite to eat.
DUDC is having a gathering (open to all) at Mystery on June 30,
Gypsy is having one at FLSP on June 9. Fantasy Lake Fun Dives
I plan to be at the coast for both of those weather permitting but it is easy to get a buddy.
Generally it is better to suggest a day and ask about a buddy on RAD or DUDC then it is to just say buddy with me. There are a lot of experienced divers in the area who enjoy playing tour guide.

Where exactly in NC are you?

Oh, okay. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything in the Asheville area to dive. If you ever want to venture down to the Triad area (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem), I would be happy to dive with you as we have some quarries in this area. Actually, there's one just outside Mooresville (PDRA Lake Norman quarry) that would be the closest one to you. But you have to be a member of PDRA (Piedmont Dive and Rescue Association) to get in or be the guest of a member. But I would be glad to make arrangements to meet you somewhere in Mooresville and take you in. There's an exit from I-77 on the road going to the quarry where we could meet up.

Another thing I might suggest is for you to join divebuddy.com and see who might be in your area you can dive with. If you do join, search for me and send me a buddy request. I use the same username on there as I do here.

Asheville, NC. Hmmm. Pretty place.

There is another public quarry between me and you namely Bluestone. Mystery and Fantasy Lake are maybe 30 minutes apart. You could make a three day dive trek out of it. Bluestone, Fantasy, Mystery. Fantasy and Mystery are both within 30 minutes of Raleigh. A zillion places to spend the night. Actually Fantasy and Mystery both allow camping also.

I am currently in Asheville, NC

I would recommend getting up with Bryan @Lake Hickory Scuba, and/or consider joining the PDRA which will be your two closest diving areas that I can think of. Otherwise Jocassee isn't bad, but is a bit of a hike from Asheville

I forgot about Lake Hickory. I've never dived there, but I do hope to some time. My son and his wife live in Hickory not far from the lake.

And I live 4 miles from Blue Stone. I'd be glad to meet you there. They are only open on the weekends or some holidays, though.

Oh, okay. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything in the Asheville area to dive. If you ever want to venture down to the Triad area (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem), I would be happy to dive with you as we have some quarries in this area. Actually, there's one just outside Mooresville (PDRA Lake Norman quarry) that would be the closest one to you. But you have to be a member of PDRA (Piedmont Dive and Rescue Association) to get in or be the guest of a member. But I would be glad to make arrangements to meet you somewhere in Mooresville and take you in. There's an exit from I-77 on the road going to the quarry where we could meet up.

Another thing I might suggest is for you to join divebuddy.com and see who might be in your area you can dive with. If you do join, search for me and send me a buddy request. I use the same username on there as I do here.
Thanks for all this info. I just made a profile on divebuddy. As soon as they let me send messages, I will get in touch.

Back
Top Bottom