NC Quarries that are open to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coralreefer68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a change of pace during times when we can't get to the coast and dive. Already a PDRA member so diving Lake Norman,JMR and Americas quarries. Looking for other quarries in NC to change things up. Are there any others besides the PDRA quarries, Bluestone and Fantasy lake??

Thanks

that's it to my knowledge. you can look into river diving. The diving sucks, but the artifacts can be cool. Other than that, I'd stick with the PDRA quarries. Plenty of ways to make them interesting

that's it to my knowledge. you can look into river diving. The diving sucks, but the artifacts can be cool. Other than that, I'd stick with the PDRA quarries. Plenty of ways to make them interesting
How do you make a quarry interesting? Fantasy Lake is just down the road from but I'm bored to death of it.

How do you make a quarry interesting? Fantasy Lake is just down the road from but I'm bored to death of it.

have you dove around the perimeter? lot's of very interesting things to see outside of the "tourist" area of that quarry

you can also play games with your buddy, go through different emergency scenarios, shoot lift bags, run lines, etc etc. Stalk fish, look for things you haven't seen or noticed before, lots of things outside of just following lines around the quarry to see platforms and planes

have you dove around the perimeter? lot's of very interesting things to see outside of the "tourist" area of that quarry

you can also play games with your buddy, go through different emergency scenarios, shoot lift bags, run lines, etc etc. Stalk fish, look for things you haven't seen or noticed before, lots of things outside of just following lines around the quarry to see platforms and planes
The perimeter sounds like a good suggestion. Maybe I'll come across a turtle or two.

Just go to lake Jocassee. It is never boring. Walk in and do a rec, dive or enter the forest and go down to 200'. Hook up with Bill Ruth and dive to 130-140' to the graveyard (a real graveyard). Got the cert? Go to the lodge at 256'. Also if you can't hit the coast then Cooper River is a must if you have not been there yet. OTOH if you have a scooter or a buddy has one, it is a blast and it makes the quarry like a new dive site. Please don't ask me to explain, it just does.

Thanks for the responses, looks like options are limited during the cooler months when the coastal dive shops are not running. Glad to see they are starting up soon! While we are somewhat bored with the same ol quarries, it doesn't stop up from diving every week.....Gotta love a dry suit! Lake Phoenix is on our list to try out as well as Hyco lake ( not your typical dive site ) and try some off the beaten path diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom