NC Quarries that are open to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you opened your quarry yet??

"Who's ready to DIVE?? Opening weekend will be JULY 28-30 and Mystery Lake will be open for diving every weekend until Nov. 1."

There is an online reservation system. Requires buddy unless you have a solo card. They are still adding stuff and not all trees pulled out that are to be pulled out. So some sections may be for divers with a few dives under their belt. I have not dove it yet, but plan to check it out later this Summer/Fall.

Thanks for the info, Steve. I would also like to check it out after they get up and going.

BTW, will you be at the Treasure Hunt at Fantasy next Saturday?

BTW, will you be at the Treasure Hunt at Fantasy next Saturday?

Maybe. My wife is having knee surgery Monday which would normally mean no but there is a chance her sister may be here for a while starting later in the week. In that case I will try and grab whatever underwater time I can locally before sister leaves since diving will be out for a few weeks otherwise. I will let you know once I know if you want to buddy.

My wife will be with me so I don't really need a buddy. I just like meeting folks, especially ones I've become associated with online.

But if you don't have anyone else, your welcome to dive with us if you're able to go.

Mystery Lake Scuba Park in Wendell NC (just east of Raleigh) has been open since last summer. It's a 15 acre lake in a beautiful, wooded setting. The owners are divers, so they understand our needs. I have dove there many times, and am impressed with all they have done to make it a great place to dive.

They're put in picnic tables and some very innovative gear set-up benches designed by a member of their scuba club. There's a porta-jon on site, and they have recently installed an enclosed changing room. For chilly surface intervals, there's a fire pit with firewood stacked nearby.

Along with a team of volunteers, they've also installed underwater attractions. These include a guideline that runs the entire perimeter; a couple of sunken motorboats; some giant spools for swim-throughs; several areas of statues (go see the mermaid and the Garden of Saints); an air bell; and an underwater maze to swim through. They have recently acquired a bus to sink.

During the 2017 season, the lake was accessible by giant stride from the dock or wade in/and out at South Beach, which sometimes got congested. Over the winter, they are working on building out another access area, East Woods, that's about a third of the way to the north side. East Woods has easier access to shallow water and training platforms, and is well-shaded for those hot days, so it will be super popular this summer.

Go check it out. Mystery Lake is close enough to Fantasy that you can easily dive both the same day. They are a different experience. We're blessed to have two great dive quarries this close to Raleigh.

Don't know about you, but I'm getting a season pass to Mystery Lake this year.

Nice quarry, have some dives there. They have also added 50 paddle fish which should be fun to observe next year. Will be back next year. I had not heard that they had found a bus. Knew they were looking.

Max depth and fee?

120 ft
$20

Sort of a large bowl that flares out on one side. Most of the bottom is at 90ft. Some ledges along the left wall. Along the right the top 20 ft or so goes out into a shallower area with trees and dive attractions. Originally there was a 70 ft wall on the right but the level is not 20 or so feet above that wall and has spread out and flooded a small forest. Fun place to cruise through the trees. So room to explore for shallow divers. Left wall has lines at about 30ft and 60 ft to follow.

There is an area not far from where you enter where it drops to 120 ft.

There are koi, bass, bream, warmouth bream, catfish, paddlefish, and eels. People are still finding stuff. It has been there a long time but a scuba park only since last fall.

Owners are continuing to develop it. Often show up with free hotdogs on weekends in the summer.

Been waiting to meet you Steve over the years. Care for a tag along?

Been waiting to meet you Steve over the years. Care for a tag along?

Sounds fun. But I dive wet and current temps are in the 40s. I will start hitting local quarries again in April. That's when Fantasy Lake moves above 50 in the top layer. First year for Mystery Lake but assume it will be the same. Will contact you then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom