Nautilus Life Line from a divers and Captains view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Nautilus never calls the cavalry, only your boat.
True but I suppose what I mean is, "my" boat is likely to realize that a test call is the diver that they are looking for and would respond. Other boats that get the signal would simply ignore. It seems like a diver that is remote from the boat but not yet lost would not want to press red.

So if a drift dive goes awry and there are multiple divers separated from the boat, and a Nautilus owner is far from the boat, would it be typical to use the yellow button so that the location is shared but the cavalry is not summoned?
I would say that would be fine depending on the situation. But probably worth discussing with whoever is on the boat to make sure they know what it means.
The Nautilus never calls the cavalry, only your boat.
That’s not entirely true. That’s what the red button is for. Red button sends a help signal to all boats and others that can receive the signal.

I would say that would be fine depending on the situation. But probably worth discussing with whoever is on the boat to make sure they know what it means.

That’s not entirely true. That’s what the red button is for. Red button sends a help signal to all boats and others that can receive the signal.
I was misinterpreting "cavalry" as meaning emergency services.

I was misinterpreting "cavalry" as meaning emergency services.
Good point. The documentation on the Nautilus GPS could be a bit clearer. AIS does not appear to be actively monitored by the US Coast Guard, or Global services. DSC alerts are, though. What’s unclear to me is if a red button alert on a Nautilus GPS is sent on AIS and DSC or just AIS.

I do know that a red button alert sends a DSC alert on the original Lifeline. Just not sure on the new one. I think it’s just AIS. Which sounds better than nothing, just not as good as an alert that would be monitored by emergency services.

What’s unclear to me is if a red button alert on a Nautilus GPS is sent on AIS and DSC or just AIS.

I do know that a red button alert sends a DSC alert on the original Lifeline. Just not sure on the new one. I think it’s just AIS. Which sounds better than nothing, just not as good as an alert that would be monitored by emergency services.
I called them about this. They say it will send both AIS & DSC one after the other in alternating way.

I called them about this. They say it will send both AIS & DSC one after the other in alternating way.
Thanks. That is definitely good news, as alerts on DSC are definitely monitored by the. Coast Guard. I’ve heard them respond to DSC alerts on many occasions. At least one time involving divers who had a Gen 1 Nautilus or another DSC, GPS enabled handheld VHF.

So if a drift dive goes awry and there are multiple divers separated from the boat, and a Nautilus owner is far from the boat, would it be typical to use the yellow button so that the location is shared but the cavalry is not summoned?
We live in Port ST. Lucie, Florida approximately 35 miles across land and through several towns to the nearest Coast Guard Station tower. When making this video in the test mode the Coast Responded by notifying our local police that they received a distress signal and we had the police in the driveway before the end of the video was recorded. The only way to avoid calling the cavalry is by selecting the mode that only notifies your boat for the first 30 minutes before notifying everyone.

We live in Port ST. Lucie, Florida approximately 35 miles across land and through several towns to the nearest Coast Guard Station tower. When making this video in the test mode the Coast Responded by notifying our local police that they received a distress signal and we had the police in the driveway before the end of the video was recorded. The only way to avoid calling the cavalry is by selecting the mode that only notifies your boat for the first 30 minutes before notifying everyone.

Nice! LOL

I just bought one from DGX. Given where I dive (South FL) this will more than suffice in an emergency. Glad to hear that your inadvertent test was so successful @Steve Roquemore.

I dug out old post about this specific subject from my old thread, Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update as shown in the quoted message, below.

by pressing the MRG red button, it would broadcast SOS immediately & simultaneously via DSC every 4 minutes & AIS once per minute, according to Ryan Sawatsky of Nautilus Lifeline tech support, as I posted here:Nautilus Lifeline Radio

I wonder if most Nautilus Lifeline owners, and PLB owners with underwater housings, leave them 'locked up tight' all the time, or leave them open a bit (perhaps in a plastic bag, to keep dust out) when not in use?
Yes I do. I have both MRG (Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS) & PLB1. For MRG, I just unlatch the cap and put it in my drawer specifically for underwater camera, GoPro, MRG & PLB1. For PLB1, I just remove the lid of its waterproof case.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom