Nautilus Life Line from a divers and Captains view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are my signalling devices (PLB1, MRG, whistle & mirror) that sit in my left BCD pocket and are tethered to D-ring in case of fumbling them during retrieving them from the pocket. I put DSMB & spool in the right BCD pocket.

F60499D6-362D-4C40-9225-7343C64C62F1.jpeg

I’m not quite sure how the new version handles that.
The new version would send out MMSI signal specifically for MOB, which is the code containing number 269 in my MRG label, below. 6005 is the serial number specifically for my MRG. So, when I press the red button basically AIS would alert the people in the wheelhouse that there’s man overboard. If I told them before hand that SN 6005 is my MRG. Then they’ll know that MOB is me.

6738B338-6A18-43BE-B783-6BF1C9E887CE.jpeg

Steve, how would one contact only the boat they are on? It seems like both the yellow and red buttons have the potential to ping everyone in range and a response is likely.

Here are my signalling devices (PLB1, MRG, whistle & mirror) that sit in my left BCD pocket and are tethered to D-ring in case of fumbling them during retrieving them from the pocket.
Your's is similar to mine and I also "daisy-chain" my items. I've been using mine for about 20yrs and I've had to pull it about a dozen times out of my McMurdo canister. EVERY single time the dive conditions were ROUGH !. If it was a calm day the boat could see you for miles and also there would be a zillion other boats enjoying the calm weather that you could float near & talk to. Lost divers always happens in 3-6 footers and not another boat in sight including your own.

One critical change that I made to my daisy-chain was I lengthen the loop just barely enough that I could place it over my head while still wearing my mask and the daisy-chain is now a necklace and can be hands free without danger of dropping it to the sand below (cause wouldn't that suck). If you have to take a monster wave and get rolled inverted, the tight necklace will get trapped. Also as divers we usually are holding/waving the SMB/flag and you're running out of available hands to hold stuff. Each time I've use the necklace feature I'm so glad because I was getting tossed in the rough conditions trying to spot the boat.

Reactions: Dan
Your's is similar to mine and I also "daisy-chain" my items. I've been using mine for about 20yrs and I've had to pull it about a dozen times out of my McMurdo canister. EVERY single time the dive conditions were ROUGH !. If it was a calm day the boat could see you for miles and also there would be a zillion other boats enjoying the calm weather that you could float near & talk to. Lost divers always happens in 3-6 footers and not another boat in sight including your own.

One critical change that I made to my daisy-chain was I lengthen the loop just barely enough that I could place it over my head while still wearing my mask and the daisy-chain is now a necklace and can be hands free without danger of dropping it to the sand below (cause wouldn't that suck). If you have to take a monster wave and get rolled inverted, the tight necklace will get trapped. Also as divers we usually are holding/waving the SMB/flag and you're running out of available hands to hold stuff. Each time I've use the necklace feature I'm so glad because I was getting tossed in the rough conditions trying to spot the boat.
Good thinking!

I won’t untether the MRG from the D-ring. The string is long enough for me to activate it.

However for my PLB1, I have to pull it out of the canister, but it’s attached to its float jacket (in case I fumble it, I can chase it & fish it out of the water). Once I manage to pull it out and activate it, I would clip it to my BCD shoulder strap (hands free), as shown below. It would be tiring to hold it by hand with the antenna pointing up to the sky for hours.

A2457C71-C9D3-4F5F-81E0-DA1B882C4E2E.jpeg

Depends on the mode you program it to, it can call only your boat for the first 30 min and then everyone or everyone from the begining.

Steve, how would one contact only the boat they are on? It seems like both the yellow and red buttons have the potential to ping everyone in range and a response is likely.

Hi there, this is Ryan from Nautilus LifeLine.

If you wanted to send a signal to one boat only, first you would need to program your LifeLine to "DSC Only" using the Nautilus GPS app and then the MMSI number of the boat.

Now, both the yellow and red buttons will transmit to your selected boat only by DSC.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

New toy arrived. So I just hit the red button to test it right @Steve Roquemore? :wink:
lol.. we did something similar on the Belle Amie a few weeks ago when a few of us bought them at the end of the voyage. They don't come with batteries, but my LM backup lights take the same batteries so I had a spare set on board and we were all testing our Lifelines in the salon just to make sure they worked before going home since they would be easier to exchange on board if faulty. One of the DMs saw us about to power them up and was like "dudes, if you are going to press that button let me alert the captain first".

New toy arrived. So I just hit the red button to test it right @Steve Roquemore? :wink:

View attachment 704643

Following the instructions in the manual which I downloaded from the company website, I successfully completed the setup of my new Nautilus Marine GPS. I used the available iOS app and tested it using the test sequence. All went according to plan and per the manual and everything appeared to function correctly. I received all of the necessary visual light indicators that everything was setup and functioning.

This will now become part of my standard diving emergency kit along with my storm whistle and TekTite strobe. These items will now live in the left pocket of my pocket shorts along with my backup DSMB. I am also going to make a bungee necklace to fasten everything together per the excellent recommendation from @Johnoly.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom